Daunting task

Vadski

n3wb
Reaction score
Im 2 days in my research on IP cams and all I have to say is this is turning out to be a daunting task. Oddly with all the options available with Hikvision it seems that there are compatibility issues with what nvr/cam combo to use. What is more strange is why I am attracted to this brand. In any case I appreciate a forum like this.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Wadski. It may be daunting now...but keep at it and you will find it is fun!

Reaction score
Im 2 days in my research on IP cams and all I have to say is this is turning out to be a daunting task. Oddly with all the options available with Hikvision it seems that there are compatibility issues with what nvr/cam combo to use. What is more strange is why I am attracted to this brand. In any case I appreciate a forum like this.
If it makes you feel any better, I took the plunge last year with Hikvision and have been very happy. I've got 6 or 7 now and they've all been solid. The setup was not terribly difficult and the cameras have survived 30°F - 100°F weather and a couple of tropical storms with zero problems.

Reaction score
From what I am finding out, HikVision cameras like working with HikVision software. The best tip I can give someone who is looking into buying a new set of cameras, especially if you are new to the process, is to buy from an American company, there are a few people on this forum who can send you a catalag (@milkisbad) with their cameras and they will support them as such.

It can be daunting and there are a lot of products out there but do your research and there are a lot of good people here who are willing to help.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The best tip I can give someone who is looking into buying a new set of cameras, especially if you are new to the process, is to buy from an American company, there are a few people on this forum who can send you a catalag (@milkisbad) with their cameras and they will support them as such.
+1. If you buy Hikvision, buy from an American Company so you know you're getting Western Region products. Milkisbad and Nelly's Security are 2 of of the most talked about on this forum. I have bought 2 NVR's from Nelly's and their post sales tech support is fantastic. I have not yet purchased from milkisbad but a lot of people here have. His camera prices are hard to beat. Not sure on post sales support though.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vadski, I am in the same boat... but I have been looking in to this stuff every few months for about a YEAR and I am no closer to figuring out what I need!