Day 2 IP camera foggy

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed a Hikvision DS-2CD2035FWD-I camera (3MP Outdoor Day/Night Bullet 4MM) yesterday on my garage. The picture looked great. This morning I looked, and the picture was all foggy. I inspected the camera and there is now a discoloration on the lens. I tried cleaning it but it's on the inside. Any ideas what happened? The camera was new in the box, but it has been sitting in my garage for a few years so no warranty options.

DS-2CD2035FWD-I.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
may need to open it up and dry it out as well as dry out the silica packages in there ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ to suggestions by @Perimeter and @mat200 .

I can only add this from a copy and paste from a post I made July 2018:

I think the best we can do to fix an affected camera and mitigate the situation to help prevent (but not guarantee) future moisture intrusion is as follows:
Wait until the ambient relative humidity is at its lowest point. Chose the driest environment you can for this procedure; in other words, the bathroom after someone took a hot, steamy shower or the kitchen after or during the stove has cooked or boiled anything is NOT a good place. This will be the biggest challenge but is likely the best way to not trap moisture-laden air inside the cam when re-assembling. Late afternoon, outdoors, sunny, no rain for 24 hours and out of direct sun may be your best bet.
Open up the cam, noting how it is assembled and what gaskets and sealant rings are in place then dry it out. Soak up excess moisture with lint-free cotton rag, handkerchief, etc. Use a small hair dryer on low to accelerate the drying out of the cam's interior but don't overheat any of the components.
Allow the cam to cool down to room temp.
Replace the bag of desiccant with a new, dry one. If you have no new bags, take the existing one, dry with hair dryer then bury in cup of uncooked, instant rice for several hours to absorb moisture from the bag.
Reassemble the cam (DON'T FORGET THE BAG OF DESICCANT), insuring OEM gaskets and sealant rings are in place. Insure that the pigtail cable entrance is sealed. If any gaskets or sealant rings are missing or damaged or the cable entrance is not sealed, you'll be wasting your time and moisture will be back in sooner than later. You should use clear, outdoor-rated silicone sealant to caulk the mating surfaces before AND after re-assembly, including the pigtail cable entrance. Allow to dry overnight before placing back into service.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I fixed it. I put the desiccant in the toaster oven for 30 minutes at warm. Then I put the bag in front of a small space heater/fan for an hour. I repaired the camera in the same room as the space heater. I powered the camera and let it warm up for an hour before putting it back outside.

One mistake I made was to remove the 2 screws holding the lens to the PCB. This messed up the focal distance upon reassembly. With a little experimentation I was able to correct it. In retrospect, I didn't have to touch any of the screws on the front PCB.
Anyway, the fogs gone, and the focus looks good. Thanks!

Camera Board.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I fixed it. I put the desiccant in the toaster oven for 30 minutes at warm. Then I put the bag in front of a small space heater/fan for an hour. I repaired the camera in the same room as the space heater. I powered the camera and let it warm up for an hour before putting it back outside.

One mistake I made was to remove the 2 screws holding the lens to the PCB. This messed up the focal distance upon reassembly. With a little experimentation I was able to correct it. In retrospect, I didn't have to touch any of the screws on the front PCB.
Anyway, the fogs gone, and the focus looks good. Thanks!

View attachment 165076
remember a drop of di-electric gel in the RJ45 boot
remember drip loop if the cables are exposed outside
remember silicone stretch or coax seal around the RJ45 connection, and some good electrical tape on that ..

if you have a junction box, I like to put the connection at the top of the box, in case any water gets in ..

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I opened it up and removed the desiccant. How do I dry the desiccant (microwave, toaster, hair dryer)?

View attachment 165055
I know i am late into the game posting this but wanted to share this for other who may be trying to get rid of the moisture. While reusing silica packets is possible by baking it in over or toaster but it can be actually purchased new on Amazon for like 100 packets for 8 dollars or something around that. Just toss the old one in trash and put in new one. You can also use it for storage plastic bin something like storing winter coast and putting it in attic during hot summer days that most likely will develop moisture and mold inside containers. Toss a couple of packets in the bin and feel secured about it.

Here the link -

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to clean my older Hikvision 2CD2542FWD camera (4MP Outdoor Day/Night Mini Dome 4MM ) circa 2016. Unfortunately, the plastic is in bad shape and could not be cleaned.
Can you buy replacement mini domes?

Mini Dome.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know i am late into the game posting this but wanted to share this for other who may be trying to get rid of the moisture. While reusing silica packets is possible by baking it in over or toaster but it can be actually purchased new on Amazon for like 100 packets for 8 dollars or something around that. Just toss the old one in trash and put in new one. You can also use it for storage plastic bin something like storing winter coast and putting it in attic during hot summer days that most likely will develop moisture and mold inside containers. Toss a couple of packets in the bin and feel secured about it.

Here the link -
Very similar to those I posted above in post #6. Both are a good value. :cool: