Day/night functionality changed during operation?

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got an IPC-T5442T-AS installed with a floodlight (motion triggered) 1.5m next to it. I've been running day/night as profile management. The first few weeks after installation, when the floodlight switched on during the night, the profile would switch from night to day (so from black/white to color). This was quite convenient, giving good license plate readability. However, last night this didn't happen. Although the floodlight was switched on the profile remained on night.
Until last evening I'd been running the night profile with standard settings (auto), but thanks to this forum (and reading a lot, special thanks to @wittaj !) I changed it to manual shutter. So I figured that would be the problem, and switched it back to auto. This didn't change anything; cam remained on night profile when the floodlight turned on. This morning it switched back to day profile.

I find this a little confusing. The only other thing that was different this night was the fact that it was raining, and the street was wet (so a little bit more black). Could this be the cause? I can't really imagine switchting from auto to manual shutter would result in not switching (although the picture is darker). How does the camera decide when to switch?

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
day/night auto switch does not work on any dahua camera. thatswhy most people who need it use day/night switch tools which use sunset time..
I've read about that, but I'm quite sure it was working 100%. Because I could make changes in the night profile and would see them take effect during the night, but not during the day. I've seen another recent post mentioning that this works like this from @looney2ns : IPC-T5442T-ZE Day/night settings

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It can work but it’s not ideal because you are relying on the photocell in the camera to change the profiles. And as you just saw, it’s not reliable.

Better to run one profile all night and another one during the day.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the day/night under profile is problematic with Dahua cams.

Either do the schedule profile, which means a couple times a year you will have to go in and adjust the time, or use the utility that many of us use that will change it based on sunrise/sunset.