Day/Night mode best practice?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have started to play with picture and exposure settings on a new camera and looking to see what others are doing for day and night profiles. I noticed in the profile manager there is a schedule where I can pick a time range and a Day/Night option. My first question is with the Day/Night setting what dictates the camera switching profiles? In the past I have used a schedule but looking at other options to avoid sunset time variations.

Camera is IPC-T5442T-ZEB

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to use the day/night profiles where you have different settings for things like exposure, etc., here are your options:

1. Manually go in every day and change it.
  2. Use the schedule in profile manager, but will require you to go in every couple months and adjust it based on different sunrise/sunset options.
  3. Connect it to a home automation system that can run a script to change its profile
  4. Use this utility that most of us use:

Reaction score
@wittaj,

Can the Dahua profile manager be used to switch between day settings and FORCED COLOR night settings? Or can it only be used to force the switching time between day settings and IR night?

As you know, there are many, MANY discussions about this already floating about IPCT, and in all of those discussions, I don't think I've ever seen that SPECIFIC nuanced question ever answered. And the reason I ask is, I've tried numerous times to set up that Dahua feature, only to find that there's apparently no way to tell the camera that, when in SCHEDULE mode, THESE ARE THE SETTINGS I WANT APPLIED DURING "DAY" HOURS, AND THESE ARE THE SETTINGS I WANT TO USE FOR (FORCED COLOR) DURING "NIGHT" HOURS (on the gray/yellow bar where times of day are set). Perhaps I'm just missing it.

As always, thanks for your insight.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want to use the day/night profiles where you have different settings for things like exposure, etc., here are your options:

1. Manually go in every day and change it.
  2. Use the schedule in profile manager, but will require you to go in every couple months and adjust it based on different sunrise/sunset options.
  3. Connect it to a home automation system that can run a script to change its profile
  4. Use this utility that most of us use:
I think in the meantime I will just use the schedule option.

I have home automation and have been looking for a decent outdoor Lux sensor to use for outdoor lighting control and this might be something I can use for cameras later.

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you find that LUX sensor and are using Homeseer let me know which one you're using. The Day/Night utility is good, but a LUX triggered event would be so much better.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj,

Can the Dahua profile manager be used to switch between day settings and FORCED COLOR night settings? Or can it only be used to force the switching time between day settings and IR night?

As you know, there are many, MANY discussions about this already floating about IPCT, and in all of those discussions, I don't think I've ever seen that SPECIFIC nuanced question ever answered. And the reason I ask is, I've tried numerous times to set up that Dahua feature, only to find that there's apparently no way to tell the camera that, when in SCHEDULE mode, THESE ARE THE SETTINGS I WANT APPLIED DURING "DAY" HOURS, AND THESE ARE THE SETTINGS I WANT TO USE FOR (FORCED COLOR) DURING "NIGHT" HOURS (on the gray/yellow bar where times of day are set). Perhaps I'm just missing it.

As always, thanks for your insight.
If you have different parameter settings for day and night, but you want forced color at night, then go here and tell it color and it will force it to color at night:

1645637608793.png

Or if you parameters are the same for day and night, but you want forced color, then just use color instead of auto.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you find that LUX sensor and are using Homeseer let me know which one you're using. The Day/Night utility is good, but a LUX triggered event would be so much better.
Yeah there aren't a lot. My plan B is to get a regular 120v photocell and have its load side be a signal for a relay like these.

Reaction score
If you have different parameter settings for day and night, but you want forced color at night, then go here and tell it color and it will force it to color at night:

Or if you parameters are the same for day and night, but you want forced color, then just use color instead of auto.
Thanks. Yes, that part's easy, but the problem remains... When I go into Profile Management and select "Schedule," then set day/night times on the gray/orange slider bar, then go back to the Conditions Tab > Day & Night > Profile, the only options in the pulldown are Normal, or Day, or Night...the profile "SCHEDULE" does not exist, thus, there appears to be no way to set up two completely different sets of parameters for Day and Night settings, then have the Schedule Profile respect those different sets of parameters and switch back-and-forth between them based on the gray/orange slider bar. That's the crux. Again, unless I'm missing something.

What I want is forced color at Night, with say 1/120 shutter, then come around dawn the next day, have it switch to Day with, say 1/2000 shutter. Otherwise it stays on Night and the scene is washed out in light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you are overthinking it?

The orange is the DAY profile, and the grey is the NIGHT. The Day/Night option doesn't do what you think.

So you set up the orange for the time you want the DAY profile and the grey for the time you want the NIGHT profile (your 1/120 shutter)

1645658010397.png

Then you go to this screen:

1645658172898.png

And set up your parameters for DAY and for NIGHT (1/120 shutter). Then the schedule will switch between the DAY profile and the NIGHT profile based on the times of the orange and grey in the Schedule.

Reaction score
Yes, I think I think too hard!

That'll be awesome if it works that way, I'll try it. Maybe where I've been going wrong is that "Picture" tab you're showing above...I've been going 4 bullets down to the Day & Night tab and mucking things up in there.

So you're saying under Picture > Day, I can set what I want for Day, then staying right there on the same tab, Picture > Night, set what I want for Night, and then the orange/gray slider will respect those and switch them? I'll work on that later after I finish hanging this other Z12E.

Thanks for sticking with me!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what it will do!

I did that for awhile until I got too many cameras and then went to that utility LOL.

Reaction score
Yes! If I'm not mistaken, @bp2008 doesn't even use that utility anymore, right? Didn't he write some scripts that work with the BI profile manager? Or does he use a combination thereof?

samplenhold

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the Day/Night utility on most of my cams. While I have 21 Dahua cams I have dialed each one in separately and the utility makes that work out just fine.

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t use a photocell or a lux sensor, but in node red their is a node called bigtimer. I use it to turn on and off my outside lights. I adjusted the offset on it until I got my lights turning on about 5 minutes before my cameras swapped to B/W. Now I also use the same timer to swap camera profiles and it works great for me. It adjust itself daily based on sunset time with appropriate offset.