Daylight Savings. How did everyone's cameras do?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I edited the post above if you didn't see while posting. Delete the log file and you should see new attempts.
Yeah when I found how large that file was I saved it for the history somewhere else and deleted the original file. The new text file was created but it isn't pulling in the camera attempts to it even though I see it happening in resource manager.

I will give it a few more hours but as long as the cameras are all the same that is the important thing.

Now to find out how to point BI computer to NTP!

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Daylight savings in Victoria, Australia, kicked in a month ago, and all my cameras changed time accordingly.

I also use the Network Time utility and that is working as it should. The log file clearly shows all responses to my cameras every 10 mins.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All mine did fine. I'm pretty diligent about setting up DST correctly on every camera I set up, and none have exhibited any bugs in that department.
yup.. mine were all messed up until you told me the correct way of doing it. thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hadn't looked before since mine are working fine but I just checked the NetTime log for mine and I see the same. I have nothing since 5/52023. So doesn't seem to be unique to you. I tried stopping and restarting the service and made multiple attempts from several different devices but still none show in the NetTime log.

Is NTP working now?

ETA: Seems to be a display issue with NetTime. If I go to C:\Program Files (x86)\NetTime and pull up the log file, then it does show the most recent attempts. The program just isn't displaying them for whatever reason. I deleted the log file and new attempts do show now. Maybe hitting a limit for number of entries or file size.
Well dang still not working.

No camera attempts in the log file.

I manually changed a camera time/date and did the manual update and also set the camera for 1 minute sync and nothing.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well dang still not working.

No camera attempts in the log file.

I manually changed a camera time/date and did the manual update and also set the camera for 1 minute sync and nothing.
The net time log doesn’t record camera checks by default. You have to raise it up one level to record them.

edit: go to net time settings and change logging level to verbose.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The net time log doesn’t record camera checks by default. You have to raise it up one level to record them.
Yeah I did and had years worth of the camera checks.

I just swung for the fences and deleted NTP and reinstalled and now they are showing in the log again!

I went in and changed a camera to the wrong time and it got corrected with NTP.

It must have corrupted somehow.

Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot. Crazy.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes it's like you're just... :banghead:

Glad you got it!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
All 9 of my cams updated with no issues.

I did have an issue way back when with 1 of the cams but that turned out to be a typo on my part with me putting in 192.168.0 instead of 192.168.1 but no matter how long I stared at it I just couldn’t see it for ages, thing I even posted here for help

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Now to find out how to point BI computer to NTP!
One of NetTime's primary functions is to be an NTP client to keep the clock accurate in Windows. It quite frankly does a better job of it than Windows itself, as I've had many Windows machines where the clock would drift because Microsoft's built-in NTP client was silently failing.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
All cams, the VTO, VTH and NVR updated file. I run an NTP service on the OpenWRT router (used as a switch) to bridge my cams to my main network. No problems.

Also just finished writing a Python script to run on other router/switch to be able to do sunrise/sunset switchover using the Astral package. Couldn't find a precompiled Sunwait binary for said hardware. I'll try and post it soon.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All clients updated automagically.

I run a Stratum 0 GPS NTP source on my pfsense firewall, then add a NAT rule to redirect all outbound NTP port 123 requests to the local NTP server. That way I don’t have to update every client or embedded device to point directly at my NTP server. A used Garmin 18X LVC for less than $50 off evilBay to achieve less than 10usec offset/jitter. Certainly not good enough to time stamp financial transactions, but good enough for home use.

IMG_2035.jpg

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I had one camera (my newest) not change times correctly. I obviously did not set it up to get time from the NTP service running on my firewall like the other cameras. I'll get that corrected ASAP.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine were okay. Only one didn't change and was an hour fast. I somehow had the DST auto switch setting disabled in that cam.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All my cams are set to use NTP as served on my BI machine using NetTime and didn't miss a beat, all responded correctly. :cool:

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just don't use the camera time and just set the BI to embed the time. I'm not sure what is the downside to doing it this way.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just don't use the camera time and just set the BI to embed the time. I'm not sure what is the downside to doing it this way.
I'm doing just the opposite (display cam time and not BI's overlay) because I'm using Direct-to-Disk plus I've heard that the camera time will hold up to more scrutiny in court, if needed.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm doing just the opposite (display cam time and not BI's overlay) because I'm using Direct-to-Disk plus I've heard that the camera time will hold up to more scrutiny in court, if needed.
so when you export the video, I have direct to disk and it exports just fine with the timestamp showing in the exported video. So I am still confused why use the on camera and have pain of making sure they are all synced.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so when you export the video, I have direct to disk and it exports just fine with the timestamp showing in the exported video. So I am still confused why use the on camera and have pain of making sure they are all synced.
When you export, since you are having BI add the time, you are re-encoding the video, and that is inefficient and takes more storage than not re-encoding and depending on the size of the export, could take a long time.

The biggest reason not to use the overlay though is that the attorney and law enforcement members here have said that having BI add the overlay constitutes a manipulation/modification/altering of the video after the fact and in a lawsuit, a good defense lawyer would claim the video has been altered to try to get it dismissed in court.

The reason being you could overlay any time you want on it after the fact.

Sure a camera could have the wrong date and time too, but that cannot be altered after the fact.

It would suck to have great video of a crime and have it tossed on a technicality.