Daytime Exposure / Gain Settings question

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious what some here are using for their daytime Exposure/Gain settings. I've tinkered a lot with the settings at night trying to get the best picture but decided to up the exposure during the daytime and just checked my cameras and on this gray and gloomy day in NEPA, most of the pictures are ridiculously dark.

I set mine for 1/500 with Gain to 0 but that killed the picture. Settled for 1/250 with the gain around 50 but I may tinker a little more.

Just curious what others have their cameras set for based on the type of scene it covers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mostly auto exposure, gain @ 50%, 3dnr @ 33%... if the scene is sufficiently bright it usually puts the shutter speed at least at 1/120 which is adequate for human targets in motion.. but auto exposure will compensate for overcast days and bring it down to whatever it needs to maintain a balanced chroma.. My dahuas also have a Shutter priority and Gain Priority settings that can be enabled if WDR/HLC/BLC is disabled entirely; but most of my outdoor cameras are running with WDR enabled due to my front being constantly shaded but the road is not.. if I didnt need WDR I'd probably run shutter priority @ 1/120 in day, and 1/60 at night.. but I have a LPR camera so I dont need to capture vehicle makes/models that much so I only need enough shutter for targets moving under 5mph or so.

only one I run at a fixed exposure is the LPR camera; 1/1000 in day and 1/500 at night.. switched externally an hour before sunset and an hour after sunrise.

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just been experimenting with daytime exposure on my lpr. It suddenly dawned on me the shorter the exposure time the clearer the plate. I have found that 1/500 is far too fast for night time and usually only use 1/120. I have invested in an ir flood light to get better night time results. I'm currently getting around 9000 cars per day