db corruption detected

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have noticed that when viewing the BI Web UI I get a message "Video stream lost, trying to re-connect". It is continually doing this. I checked the log and it says "db corruption detected, run repair/regenerate (all/index)". Can someone explain what's going on and how do I repair it. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It happens. Computer shut down, BI shut down, just a bug that worked in over time.

Simply go to the alert clip thumbnails and right-click and go to database and select the repair/regenerate option.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It happens. Computer shut down, BI shut down, just a bug that worked in over time.

Simply go to the alert clip thumbnails and right-click and go to database and select the repair/regenerate option.
I did that but I'm still gettign "Video was Lost, trying to reconnect". Should I restart the server? Now it's showing something different

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The video lost is something else. Try a restart.

WOW you still have a lot of errors there. Your best bet now is to shut down BI if running as a service and delete the DB directory and then reopen to rebuild it from scratch. You will lose the alert thumbnails in the process, but it will clear out the errors.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd like to see screen shots from the BI console showing allocations and locations for New, Alerts and Stored as well as how the allocations are handled, space only, time only or space/time.

Also a screen shot of the Clip Storage tab of the BI console.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I did that but I'm still gettign "Video was Lost, trying to reconnect". Should I restart the server?

WOW you still have a lot of errors there. Your best bet now is to shut down BI if running as a service and delete the DB directory and then reopen to rebuild it from scratch. You will lose the alert thumbnails in the process, but it will clear out the errors.

All of my clips are stored on an internal hard drive, can I just reformat it or just delete the clips. I have some BI backup files stored on there as well.

Attachments

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like to see screen shots from the BI console showing allocations and locations for New, Alerts and Stored as well as how the allocations are handled, space only, time only or space/time.

Also a screen shot of the Clip Storage tab of the BI console.
OK after restoring the data it did create a storage shortage. I have fixed that, I think, but I am still getting the lost video signal on the web UI

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The loss of video is a network problem, not a database problem. I'd still like to see those shots of allocation for each directory and the retention rules. Use space only, not time. Blue Iris will handle things very nicely. There is no point in moving video from New to Stored. Leave it in New and use Stored only for clips/exports that you need to retain. Moving files takes CPU cycles and adds wear and tear to the disk drives.

How about a sketch, even hand drawing, of your network layout showing router and switches plus what's connected to each. If you're running video through the router to get the the BI machine it is most likely the cause of the dropped video. Consumer grade routers can't handle the constant load of video surveillance. It is not like watching a movie on NetFlix. There is no buffering of the video stream from cameras as there is with NetFlix.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The loss of video is a network problem, not a database problem. I'd still like to see those shots of allocation for each directory and the retention rules. Use space only, not time. Blue Iris will handle things very nicely. There is no point in moving video from New to Stored. Leave it in New and use Stored only for clips/exports that you need to retain. Moving files takes CPU cycles and adds wear and tear to the disk drives.

How about a sketch, even hand drawing, of your network layout showing router and switches plus what's connected to each. If you're running video through the router to get the the BI machine it is most likely the cause of the dropped video. Consumer grade routers can't handle the constant load of video surveillance. It is not like watching a movie on NetFlix. There is no buffering of the video stream from cameras as there is with NetFlix.
I can get the snap shots of the folder set up, no problem, however, your comment about "Network Problem" has really got me thinking that's where the problem lies. I have also been working on connection issues with my Davis weather station. The folks at davis said it was not communicating with their server. I restarted my computer which is also my BI server and it seems to working for now. Also in the past several weeks, I have had problems getting push notifications from BI. Some of the notifications are two or the days late. As of the past few days it has been pushing the alerts in a timely manner. The issues became so bad that I had AT&T send me a new router which I have had about three to four weeks. Ive had BI for several years with very little problem. Don't know what to do about this network problem except call AT&T. When I log into the WEB UI for blue iris, its through my fire stick on the TV. This should be coming thru my LAN. The WIFI in the AT&T box is disconnected and I use a Ubiquiti WIFI system with a cloud key and all but two of my cameras are hard wired in. Have not had any issues streaming with the firestick which is why I have not given the network issue any serious thought.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember streaming a movie is not like video surveillance. Streaming a movie will download a chunk of the movie then pause for a while until the movie playback gets toward the end of that chunk. Then the process repeats. Video surveillance cameras never stop sending data and if there's a bottleneck somewhere on the network you'll lose the streams for sporadic periods of time.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember streaming a movie is not like video surveillance. Streaming a movie will download a chunk of the movie then pause for a while until the movie playback gets toward the end of that chunk. Then the process repeats. Video surveillance cameras never stop sending data and if there's a bottleneck somewhere on the network you'll lose the streams for sporadic periods of time.
Well I found the problem to the weather station and it too had some bad files. Got rid of them and it started working correctly. Restored/repaired the data base in blue iris files and everything cleared up and no errors in the BI Log. Seemed to be working fine when I went to bed but this morning it is back to saying "Lost video, trying to reconnect". Not sure what to do next, maybe run some trouble shooting on computer?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first question posed by @sebastiantombs is what is your network topology?

Do your cameras go thru the router or are they on a second NIC on the BI computer or a VLAN system? If not, that is probably your problem.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal or get tearing or other issues. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras and other IoT's you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

Provided that is resolved, then it comes down to a cabling, crimping, or a power issue with the cameras.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first question posed by @sebastiantombs is what is your network topology?

Do your cameras go thru the router or are they on a second NIC on the BI computer or a VLAN system? If not, that is probably your problem.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal or get tearing or other issues. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras and other IoT's you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

Provided that is resolved, then it comes down to a cabling, crimping, or a power issue with the cameras.
First of all I am out in the country and have AT&T internet with a maximum 18MPS. Fiber coming soon, I hope. As mentioned before the AT&T wifi is disabled due to poor wifi range. I use a simple Ubiquiti wifi system that was professionally installed. All of my cameras are Amcrest brand and all but three are hard wired. Those wired in are powered (POE) through ubiquiti managed switches. I have a total of three switches that are plugged into a non-poe switch that is plugged into the router. I also have a Ubiquiti Cloud Key Gen-2. It only has the one wire and RJ45 plug and it is also plugged into the non-poe switch. Its my understanding that the cloud key manages the IP address but I could be wrong on that. Problems seem to have started after a storm in June that caused a power surge. I replace the AT&T router with another one but this time I set it up whereas before the AT&T tech did. Of coarse my server IP address got changed and I had to go in the router and allow the new address to pass through the fire wall. And that's all that I have done but I am thinking I may have missed something along the way.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whether you are out in the country or not is irrelevant LOL. Systems can work fine with zero internet (obviously you cannot review remotely LOL).

If the camera data is going thru the router it can cause problems.

Is your BI computer connected to one of the same switches as the cameras or is the router the common point that brings them together?

Are all your devices on the same IP address range or are the cameras a different IP address range?

Are your no signal cameras the wifi or wired or both?

Ubiquity is better than the consumer grade stuff most use, so that shouldn't be a problem. But maybe the power surge reset something in one of the units and maybe is throttling or limiting the data bandwidth.

I would check the ethernet port of the computer and make sure that something didn't cause it to go from a GB to 100MB connection - we have seen that happen before and that would cause the issues.

Post this screenshot so we can see which and how many cameras and frequency it is losing signal, along with letting us know if they are wired or wireless.

1662745121740.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will help troubleshoot this by providing the information requested twice now.

Wifi cameras are almost always problematic. Are they the ones you are getting No signals on?

When having issues with computers and electronics in general, the first trouble shooting step is to reboot everything that is in your network. Switch's, computers, routers, etc.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will check the computer and make sure it is plugged into the same switch. I am not loosing the video from any one particular camera, best I can tell. I am assuming that when It pops up lost video on the web UI, its loosing connection with the server.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You cut off the No signal in the Status page that would be on the far right of that page - that will tell us if it is at the BI console/computer or if it is strictly with the web UI. The troubleshooting would be different depending on where the lost signal is happening.

If it is only at the web UI interface, then it is a congested network, probably coupled with the settings of video streaming to the web UI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Slide the cursor over on BI camera status page so we can see if there are No signals.

Looks like you must be port forwarding instead of VPNing back into your system and people have either hacked or tried to hack. Those IP addresses come back to known hacking sites.

Is every device on your network part of the 192.168.1.XXX subnet?

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Slide the cursor over on BI camera status page so we can see if there are No signals.

Looks like you must be port forwarding instead of VPNing back into your system and people have either hacked or tried to hack. Those IP addresses come back to known hacking sites.

Is every device on your network part of the 192.168.1.XXX subnet?
The 192 is correct, not following what you need me to do with the cursor over the BI Status page