Ddns most of the time inaccessible with Maygion ip camera

Hamza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

If someone can help . I have a Maygion ID200a ip camera monitoring the front door of appartment.
The camera is linked to a wifi spot created by a tplink 3020 router with a 3G dongle in it. The system is on from the morning to evening.It is not 24/24h on.
To access the camera with my android phone I connect to the "iview.hk" ddns associated with the camera.
Problem : it works one day, not the 2 others .
How can I know where is the problem from : the ddns itself, the ips given by my ISP, the router .....
Can someone give some advice so I can get to know the culprit & change what have to be changed to get the connection working everyday.

Hamza

n3wb
Reaction score
You should consider giving each of your cameras a static IP address. That is done in the camera.
Thank you.
I will give it a try. It's true the ip is not static in the ip camera current configuration.

snake87

n3wb
Reaction score
You mentioned your using a 3G dongle?

If you are using a mobile ISP that could be your problem. With most mobile ISP's, instead of assigning you with a unique public IP address, as standard ISP's do, mobile ISP's assign public IP addresses to a group of users, and then employ NAT to isolate their traffic. This can cause your dynamic DNS setup to fail.

If you have no choice but to use the 3G dongle, you could setup motion detection in the camera instead, and have the camera email you snapshots when it sees something moving.

It's not ideal, but it will work

Dan

Last edited:

Hamza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello , here's a followup :

Fixing a static LAN IP in the camera definitely changed the ratio "working , not working". During 7 days , It didn't work only one time but there were other factors behind my problems.
I found the ISP use both public & private IPs. So to resolve this problem , I restart the router to get new ip until it works.
I also found restarting my android & reinitialising it's internet connection was sometimes resolvong the impossibly to connect also.
For the day it's not working , I use Blue Iris motion detect on my pc with the email alarm settings on so I'm warned if something happen & BI record video of the event.

Now , it all go well with my very simple surveillance system using TinyCam Pro , my android phone, and a cheap ip camera for a motion detect only setting.

Note : the MPEJ camera won't send alarm emails because its email security protocol are old & not updated while gmail & others updated their security.
The Tinycam Pro app have a background in-app motion detect & all what is needed : email, ftp , record on sd card, etc.
The only issue is it consume battery but being at work the phone is plugged .
Main thing is I get alarm & live view if someone enter the appartment , then I can record or take pictures.

Thanks for your answers.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You can go into gmail settings and allow insecure old style connections.