Dead DS-2CD2132-I

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello-

I've got a Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I that is no longer working. I was having trouble with the PC that I had running my security camera software (Blue Iris), so the system was down for a while. I had my POE switch providing power to all of the cams in the system for a while. I turned everything off for several weeks while I was working the PC issue.

I finally got the PC up and running. I powered up the POE switch, and all of my cams came back online except the DS-2CD2132. There are no visible lights on it that are on. I pulled it off from under the eave, and brought it in the house. I have an individual POE injector that I connected to it to see if I could talk to it with the SADP software. No luck. I put my laptop on the same network as the default IP address of the DS cam (192.0.0.100 for the laptop), but still no dice.

I'm pretty sure that the 2132 is gone...but I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a few more troubleshooting hints.

Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Put a coat or something over it for at least 10-15 seconds and listen for the sound of the IR filter moving (should be a soft click). If that doesn't even happen, then it likely isn't powering up at all.

PoE modules are a fairly common point of failure when a cam receives a power surge. The cam should have a 12 volt DC jack. You could try connecting a 12v power supply (use one rated for at least 1 amp) to see if that allows the camera to boot up. If so, you can buy an active PoE splitter that converts PoE to standard ethernet and 12 volt power.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008-

I tried the coat idea...no dice. I don't have a 12v DC jack, so I had to order one. I'll try it out, and report back. Hopefully, that will bring it back to life...otherwise, I'll be looking for a replacement cam to watch the porch.

Thanks again for the reply.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008-

Thanks again for your help. I got the 12v DC jack from Amazon the other day. I plugged the cam into it, and to my surprise, I saw a small red LED light up on the PCB. I figured that I now would need to figure out how to run the 12V supply to the cam, and use that instead of the POE.

Just for fun...I plugged in a POE ethernet cable into the jack after I unplugged the 12V supply....guess what? The small red LED on the PCB lit up again. I plugged in a POE injector to my laptop to verify, and the cam was once again up and running.

I mounted it back to it's old home under the eave, and it has been working ever since with the original POE wiring (knocks on wood)

I guess that the 12V may have reset something on the board that allowed the POE connection to work again. I didn't even lose any setting.

Thanks again for the idea on the 12V jack.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty strange, but I'm glad it is working again!

If you had needed to keep powering it with 12 volts, the easiest solution is probably one of these: http://amzn.com/B078LYW6D7

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
my guess would be that you had some corrosion on the ethernet connection that was preventing powering up. disconnecting and reconnecting it a few times re-made the connection...

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008- I bought the same POE adapters...worked pretty well, and has a small form factor.

The ethernet connection was in the attic, so I'm not sure what happened....I'm just glad that I was able to save >$100 if I had to replace the cam.