Dead Hikvision Cameras

SPY

n3wb
Reaction score
I Have a number of Hikvision ip cameras 2 are wired from the loft where the switch is located .
The cable runs underneath the roof tiles to the soffit .
The two cameras have stopped working i disconnected them and wired them direct into the switch they are working ok.
I then tested the cat5 with a cable tester they were ok.
I reconnected the cameras and they started to work then after about two hours they have stopped working again.
Would the cold weather have anything to do with it ?
Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Leave them directly connected to the POE switch with new CAT5/6 cables and see if they fail after 3 hours.

The one thing in common is the POE switch

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I Have a number of Hikvision ip cameras 2 are wired from the loft where the switch is located .
The two cameras have stopped working i disconnected them and wired them direct into the switch they are working ok.
I then tested the cat5 with a cable tester they were ok.
I reconnected the cameras and they started to work then after about two hours they have stopped working again.
Would the cold weather have anything to do with it ?
Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Stating how the entire network infrastructure is wired and hardware in place (model number / brand) would be a lot more helpful. If people are to offer you any factual insight and guidance.

- System consists of the following hardware brand and model?

- The system has been running fine since X until Y date?

- The wiring infrastructure uses CAT-5e, CAT-6 at X length?

- The POE switch is a AF / AT with a maximum power output per port?

Regardless of the above if I was standing there I would plug in a POE injector. That would eliminate the switch and just leave the camera and wiring.

If the camera operates fine for the next 72 hours it’s the switch.

If the camera fails at what ever time interval document it. Move forward by using the same distance Ethernet cable as is in place. Power up the system with the POE injector and if it runs fine for 72 hours the problem is the cable.

If the system fails after replacing the power supply using a POE injector and new Ethernet cable - it’s the camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I vote for bad CAT cable (corroded, severely crushed) or corroded/water damaged RJ-45 connector(s), possibly a combination of both!

That means if new cable and terminations are in order, you may want to consider the new paths and how/where they are installed (like in attic, under eaves, etc.).

SPY

n3wb
Reaction score
Stating how the entire network infrastructure is wired and hardware in place (model number / brand) would be a lot more helpful. If people are to offer you any factual insight and guidance.

- System consists of the following hardware brand and model?

- The system has been running fine since X until Y date?

- The wiring infrastructure uses CAT-5e, CAT-6 at X length?

- The POE switch is a AF / AT with a maximum power output per port?

Regardless of the above if I was standing there I would plug in a POE injector. That would eliminate the switch and just leave the camera and wiring.

If the camera operates fine for the next 72 hours it’s the switch.

If the camera fails at what ever time interval document it. Move forward by using the same distance Ethernet cable as is in place. Power up the system with the POE injector and if it runs fine for 72 hours the problem is the cable.

If the system fails after replacing the power supply using a POE injector and new Ethernet cable - it’s the camera.
Thank for the info.
I have ordered POE injector just to confirm the switch.
Also i have now pluged the camera into the switch with a 1m cable and has been running for about 3hours all is well.
The camera i am using is a DS-2CD2085G1-1 with cat-5e roughly 8m in length.
Thanks for your input.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank for the info.
I have ordered POE injector just to confirm the switch.
Also i have now pluged the camera into the switch with a 1m cable and has been running for about 3hours all is well.
The camera i am using is a DS-2CD2085G1-1 with cat-5e roughly 8m in length.
Thanks for your input.
Given you don’t have another POE source available I would like to know if the camera is connected to the same port as before?

You don’t want to find out there’s a failing port.

Ideally you would run the camera on the same length of (new) cable and on the same port for this test while you wait for the injector to arrive.

If everything operates fine that leads to the existing cable / connectors / both.

SPY

n3wb
Reaction score
Given you don’t have another POE source available I would like to know if the camera is connected to the same port as before?

You don’t want to find out there’s a failing port.

Ideally you would run the camera on the same length of (new) cable and on the same port for this test while you wait for the injector to arrive.

If everything operates fine that leads to the existing cable / connectors / both.
Hi
I have the camera pluged into another port also tried the same port both work fine.
Also tested the cable with a cat5 light tester all 8 lights run.
I will have to see what happens when the POE injector arrives.
I also have an 80m cheap CCA flying lead cat5 cable which also works

Thanks for your help