Dead simple setup for a couple cameras

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

My dad just asked me to setup a camera for him. He will need something that is dead simple so I wouldn't want to use blue iris. Plug and play so probably an NVR. He wants one camera now but I want to have growth for up to 4 cameras. he would like two way audio also (I haven't messed with this before).

His use is just to show him if someone is coming down his driveway (he can't see the driveway from inside the house) but he'd also like to be able to talk with the person out there (let a visitor know he is coming).

What do you have for recommendations? If the audio piece makes the setup more difficult we can punt on that - we can consider it a 'nice to have'.

I will probably give him one of my 3MP Hikvision turret cameras (Unless we should get a camera that does 2-way audio?).

What NVR should I get? since the requirements are so basic I am thinking something like this - http://neotech.ge/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DS-7100NI-SN-P_.pdf

Thoughts?

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
He said he is willing to spend up to $500 but I am thinking it will be much cheaper than that.

BTW - if you have suggestions for a monitor that would be awesome. he wants something relatively small, I am guessing 8". Even an ipad mini that can just always display the camera.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on the number of cams and some other parameters, a budget of $500 isn't excessive.

He can't see the driveway and wants to talk to people on the driveway... this implies there's a gate of some kind on the driveway and possibly significant distance between the driveway/gate and house. Please elaborate more on these details, they are very relevant. If I'm right and there's a gate, I'd look into a gate opener.

As to 2 way audio, you'll get better performance out of a dedicated intercom. Generally for a cam with 2-way audio you need an external speaker and amplifier and there's a lot of lag in a half duplex setup.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like I mentioned above there will be 1 camera but would like to handle growth up to 4 cameras.

No gate. Just obstructed view.

Any intercom suggestions?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No gate. Just obstructed view.
Without a gate, much much good would an intercom do? Why would somebody stop there?
A driveway alert motion sensor or vehicle sensing cable seems more useful.

The distances we're talking about are really important there are practical limits to how far you can run cables. How easily can wires be run to a location with a view of the driveway?
Sounds like you might need a camera with a pretty good zoom lens.

Post a well cropped screen shot from google maps, use the measure distance tool (right click the map) to show the distance to where you want the camera.

For intercom without running wires, there are things like this: https://www.amazon.com/CHAMBERLAIN-Wireless-Doorbell-Intercom-System/dp/B009RPPH5W
but reviews aren't great and you have to hold to button to talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let's assume I can build whatever is necessary to get the right cables out there. I am really looking for feedback on the NVR, camera and intercom system you mentioned above.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can build a weatherproof housing for it, the HikVision Cube 4mm would prob work. It seems like you like the HikVision NVR so they should ideally work together with no issues. The cube has the two way audio. Turret can't. But the turret is more durable as far as weather.

Tangent is correct that a dedicated intercom system might be better at this point. Otherwise, it might be better (for now) to punt on that idea and get 2 turrets, and the NVR. Put one right at the top of the driveway and another where the driveway meets the house. I'm not sure of the layout of the residence/driveway/property but if u sketch a little something together people could give you better ideas.

One last thing, for the monitor, def check out eBay. With some searching and some patience you should be able to find a great deal. I bought a 17" dell monitor shipped for $28 bucks and spent $15 on a mount. Works great, you'll prob just have to buy a VGA cable. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard from Amazon for about $18-20 and you're all set.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's assume I can build whatever is necessary to get the right cables out there. I am really looking for feedback on the NVR, camera and intercom system you mentioned above.
Ethernet is limited to 100m (328'). If you went with a wired intercom, the cable length and wire gauge is pretty important because of voltage drop. I've seen places with 1/2 mile long driveways that gain 500' in elevation and no line of sight for wireless. It doesn't sound like you've got anything like that to deal with, but cable length is a major consideration.

A sketch or satellite image would really help us give the best advice possible. It's hard for us to know if it would be better to put a camera with a 4mm lens 200' away from the house or a camera with a 12mm lens 50' from the house without more info.

For cheap monitors, craigslist or local auctions are hard to beat (no shipping). There was a liquidation near me last week that I didn't have a chance to get to that had 20" monitors for $10.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...It doesn't sound like you've got anything like that to deal with, but cable length is a major consideration...It's hard for us to know if it would be better to put a camera with a 4mm lens 200' away from the house or a camera with a 12mm lens 50' from the house without more info...
It's hard to recommend anything with confidence without more specificity about the property characteristics. Although Brian has been asked several times for such information not much has been forthcoming.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sorry I have mislead you guys. I didn't need feedback on the camera specifically, I mentioned recommendation on the camera only because I don't know of a camera that does two-way audio so I'd want recommendations on that. Since you are recommending audio separate from the camera didn't need feedback on the camera. As of the focal length and even IR lighting, I have that covered. I really wanted feedback on the NVR and audio setup.

Sorry for miss communicating and thanks for the feedback!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry I have mislead you guys. I didn't need feedback on the camera specifically, I mentioned recommendation on the camera only because I don't know of a camera that does two-way audio so I'd want recommendations on that. Since you are recommending audio separate from the camera didn't need feedback on the camera. As of the focal length and even IR lighting, I have that covered. I really wanted feedback on the NVR and audio setup.

Sorry for miss communicating and thanks for the feedback!
The main cams hikvision and dahua make with build in audio are indoor "cube" style cameras. These aren't ideal for outdoor use. Do some searching, you'll find plenty of threads with people frustrated the 2 way audio doesn't work the way the want it to.

The only other product line they have would be something like a dahua door intercom station. These have fairly low quality 720p cameras and only work right with their indoor station, but this is a level of simplicity you might have a hard to pulling off with other options also most of these aren't PoE. Since there's no gate, I think I'd probably just go for a cam and forego the intercom. The new VTO2111D-WP is more interesting because it is PoE, but nobody sells it yet still a 720p cam.

On NVR's one of the bigger things to watch is the total camera network bandwidth.

For the last time, how long is the driveway?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah bars in the recommendations I will go with one of my extra cameras and skip audio for now until I figure out what intercom system to build.

I will research intercom systems in the meantime.

The area he want to monitor is about 50' x 50' so one of my extra 2.8mm will do the job. The nice part is that I'll be mounting it close to the house so power can cable lengths won't be a problem.

Any thoughts on an NVR?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will go with one of my extra cameras and skip audio for now until I figure out what intercom system to build.
If you do put a camera near the end of the driveway, figure out your intercom solution so you only have to trench once or better yet run conduit.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you do put a camera near the end of the driveway, figure out your intercom solution so you only have to trench once or better yet run conduit.
good idea. maybe i'll never put the intercom in...