Dealing with old plates at night

Discussion in 'LPR' started by Frankydp, Oct 7, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Frankydp

Frankydp Young grasshopper

Evening folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with old plates that have very very reduced reflective coating left on them, and usually little to no plate illumination via lights.

I am trying to guess if more IR on the target will actually improve readability/reflected light or not.

I am running 1/500 at night, so it is black out except for the tail lights and the plate.

Any suggestions or thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

I get some that Id swear have no plate at all... I have a butt load of IR on the entrance capture point and still get the occasional bad one thats all but un-readable, so dont think more IR will necessarily do the trick....

Paper tags will fool ya ;)

HOA Entrance_EntrTag_main_20181007192411-paper.jpg HOA Entrance_EntrTag_main_20181006115900-paper.jpg

tech101 likes this.
  3. tech101

tech101 Pulling my weight

So since this paper plate is a interesting challenge for night have anyone come with a solution so far to capture these at night ? I think other one are also older plate but pretty much same challenge in terms of capturing them. Can this be achieved with a separate camera dedicated to capture these kind of plates ?

4. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

The traffic cams use a super bright strobe flash, ........ pretty sure my neighbors wouldn't approve :(

tech101 likes this.
  5. tech101

tech101 Pulling my weight

Ah, Yeah that would be so obvious LOL I mean even if they approve it the flash will be obvious each time a car goes off LOL I was wishing that this could be achieved by some way other without a big flash of light

6. DLONG2

DLONG2 Getting comfortable

And some drivers purposely alter the state-owned plates in order to make collection more difficult, risking big fines.