Deepstack CPU usage

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I utilize substreams and my CPU usage generally got down to 10-20%.

I just installed and began utilizing Deepstack, and, at times, especially when there's a dozen kids running around my house and cars going by, with Deepstack analyzing all the motion triggers, CPU will spike to 100%.

Is this a problem or to be expected? I understand I could always upgrade my hardware to get lower CPU usage, however is there anything I can do (or should have done) to minimize CPU usage (other than changing the "mode" setting on Deepstack)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is to be expected.

Obviously the better the CPU, the better it can handle it.

You can try limiting the number of images it sends to DS for analysis.

You can tighten up the motion and only use it for true areas of concern - do you really need every vehicle that goes by on the street to be analyzed by DeepStack?

You can not have it be used by as many cameras - if two cameras have overlapping views, you now have two cameras hitting up DS at the same time. Just do the most critical or tighten up the motion so that two are not triggering at the same time for the same event.

You can maybe make it profile specific and be more concerned about people during the night.

You can change the mode setting.

You can use the AI of the camera if your cameras have that ability.

Last edited:

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is to be expected.

Obviously the better the CPU, the better it can handle it.

You can try limiting the number of images it sends to DS for analysis.

You can tighten up the motion and only use it for true areas of concern - do you really need every vehicle that goes by on the street to be analyzed by DeepStack?

You can not have it be used by as many cameras.

You can change the mode setting.

You can use the AI of the camera if your cameras have that ability.

I understand. These are great suggestions.

I very much appreciate it

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, @looney2ns @wittaj.

Newb mistake, but lesson learned. Reason why CPU was so high when reviewing footage was because I had activated testing/tuning->add motion overlay, resulting in deepstack overlays going over the entire video during playback.

I turned this off and now am back to normal CPU usage during playback.