DeepStack model building >>> Is there a way to include "negative" confirmation images

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If you build DS models then you know you include data to train and test the model. And, the images you use are to positively identify objects. I think we've all seen cats identified as dogs or a person. Is there a way to include images to train DS to tell it that a cat isn't a dog or a person? In other words, submit training data of a dog or person and let DS know "this isn't a cat"?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you build DS models then you know you include data to train and test the model. And, the images you use are to positively identify objects. I think we've all seen cats identified as dogs or a person. Is there a way to include images to train DS to tell it that a cat isn't a dog or a person? In other words, submit training data of a dog or person and let DS know "this isn't a cat"?
Yes, just include the image in the training set but without the tag causing the false positive.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
So, you would include the false positive image and give it a tag of what it actually is. For example, if you were building a dog specific model you would include the pic of the false positive of the cat (DS identified as a dog) and tag it as "cat"?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, you would include the false positive image and give it a tag of what it actually is. For example, if you were building a dog specific model you would include the pic of the false positive of the cat (DS identified as a dog) and tag it as "cat"?
If you have a model that only identifies dogs, then you would include pictures of cats, skunks, squirrels, etc. and don't tag them at all.

If you have a model of cats and dogs and it continually gets a certain set of cats and thinks they are dogs, you'd add as many of those images tagged correctly as cat.

I had to do this with my delivery model that was seeing certain shrubs, car wheels, etc. as the wrong thing. I included those images that had previously been misidentified and included them with no tag so it learns they aren't the desired object.