Deer in the headlights

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice.. envy you guys out far enough from the city to have plenty of wildlife.

My Bro-in-law lives top of a mountain up in northern PA. Same thing. Deer, bears, Turkey walk through the yard like they live there or something :lmao:

Not allowed to shoot the lawn deer.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not allowed to shoot the lawn deer.
You can here, even out of season on your own property, but I choose not to anyway.
After 16 years I think the deer consider this 6 acres and my step-mom's adjoining 20 as a refuge since no one's allowed to hunt here. Nightly there's 6, 8, 10 or 15 front or back. It's almost as if that fact (refuge) is passed down to the offspring, newcomers and the rest of the herd. :cool:

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are plenty of species which I believe pass down this sort of knowledge/information through generations .. perhaps right down to encoding it somehow at the DNA level.

Generationally, ravens will somehow know a threat, long after that threat has passed. They've conducted experiments - a researcher will wear a rubber mask (think halloween, but one that is very human .. a caricature of a celebrity etc) and they will walk out into a park etc, and play a deceased raven down on the grass in plain view of the ravens. (no birds were harmed lol). When the researcher ever goes back to that park, the ravens will alarm. They've even cut a hole in the top of the mask and had the researcher wear it upside down, same effect. They've sent him out years later, and generations of ravens later, they will still alarm. The information has been downloaded somehow.