Defrag

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I was noticing that my clips in the UI were taking a LOT time to load. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Yesterday, I logged in in the machine and did a disk check. It was healthy buy it was about 50% fragmented. I kicked off a defrag and this morning my clips load instantly.

Just wanted to put it on the board in cast anyone else has the issue...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine are not fragmenting quite like yours.....are you putting/doing other things with that drive besides video capture?
oh wait I refreshed and I am at 75% on the video drive..:(....but my clips are playing back just fine....

Wasn't there some forum wisdom about turning " optimization /defrag " off?

1693673610195.png

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mine are not fragmenting quite like yours.....are you putting/doing other things with that drive besides video capture?
oh wait I refreshed and I am at 75% on the video drive..:(....but my clips are playing back just fine....

Wasn't there some forum wisdom about turning " optimization /defrag " off?

View attachment 171380
Turn auto optimization /defrag " off, but manually defrag once a while when your drive need some clean up?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just checked mine, clip drives aren’t fragmented, I did format them with a cluster size of 64k as they are only used to store clips.

IMG_0616.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't recall exactly what it was when I did mine once but it was somewhat high. I didn't really see any noticeable improvement in response after. Took forever with an 8TB drive.

I did see a big difference in drive noise with a new Purple drive. Left on, it chunked and bumped continually. Turned off, it's completely quiet. Both with the exact same data stream, recording, et. al., to BI.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You don't need to defrag solid state drives... This was on a magnetic HDD...

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Solid State Drives (SSD) Do not need to be defrag, but do need optimization to TRIM the drive (make old deleted blocks ready to be writable again) even this is not critical as modern OS and modern drives TRIM on the fly without issues.

Hard Disks (HDD standard magnetic spinning drives) that are storing normal files with a mixture of files sizes (docs, photos, music, game installs, tv shows etc) should have auto defrag enabled (weekly is normally fine for most peoples usage) This ensures files are rewritten/moved to be stored sequentially on the drive, improving read and seek times as the drive heads have to move less.

Hard Disks (HDD standard magnetic spinning drives) that are only storing very large files such as CCTV recordings should have defrag disabled completely and be allowed to reach 99% fragmented, as defrag'ing a drive that is constantly having data written and deleted is a pointless exercise and will only server to waste time/power and shorten the drive life. In order to improve these drives, they should be formatted with a much larger cluster/allocation size. The Windows NTFS default is 4K (4096 bytes) which is tiny, something like 1024K or 2048K is much better suited for CCTV/large file storage and will ensure fast operation without the need to defrag.

1693727889335.png
1693728157766.png1693728203712.png

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Solid State Drives (SSD) Do not need to be defrag, but do need optimization to TRIM the drive (make old deleted blocks ready to be writable again) even this is not critical as modern OS and modern drives TRIM on the fly without issues.

Hard Disks (HDD standard magnetic spinning drives) that are storing normal files with a mixture of files sizes (docs, photos, music, game installs, tv shows etc) should have auto defrag enabled (weekly is normally fine for most peoples usage) This ensures files are rewritten/moved to be stored sequentially on the drive, improving read and seek times as the drive heads have to move less.

Hard Disks (HDD standard magnetic spinning drives) that are only storing very large files such as CCTV recordings should have defrag disabled completely and be allowed to reach 99% fragmented, as defrag'ing a drive that is constantly having data written and deleted is a pointless exercise and will only server to waste time/power and shorten the drive life. In order to improve these drives, they should be formatted with a much larger cluster/allocation size. The Windows NTFS default is 4K (4096 bytes) which is tiny, something like 1024K or 2048K is much better suited for CCTV/large file storage and will ensure fast operation without the need to defrag.

View attachment 171449
View attachment 171450View attachment 171451
Is this in the wiki? This is good advice...