Dell Optiplex 7050 vs Acer Aspire XC

scuba14c

n3wb
Reaction score
I have (3) 5MP Amcrest cameras recording continuously with sub streams through Blue Iris with Deepstack on an old pc with an AMD APU. The hardware is showing signs of failure and I want to upgrade the computer before it happens. My current processor load is around 25% and I may add a 4th similar camera in the future.

I have narrowed my options down to a refurbished Optiplex 7050 with an i5-7500 and 16 GB of RAM or an Acer Aspire XC with an i5-11400 and 8GB of RAM. I'm looking to spend under $350 for the upgrade. Both computers should be more than capable of handling these cameras but the Acer provides newer hardware for future proofing of the computer.

The Dell Optiplex computers are typically recommended here for use with Blue Iris. Given these options and about a $100 price difference, is there any reason to get the Optiplex with the older hardware?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the Acer will run w 11.
the Dell has easier to get parts. and has room for 3.5" HDD. You can add run Dual NIC on the Optiplex.
The Acer may not even have a 3.5" bay....you'd have to see an exploded view of the chassis. or a specifications .pdf or something.
and itmay not support DUAL NIC

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Every Acer thing that I've bought has ended up being kind of a complete piece of crap. That said, the specs on the Acer are better. It does look to come with at least one 3.5" bay. If you have a more specific model number maybe can find more detailed specs for what's inside.

Nothing magic about the Dell Optiplex. Just relatively well made machines and there are tons of them off-lease so you can find easily and cheap.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
More often than not, I have experienced un-plesantries with anything Acer.... including their monitors.

</.02>

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here LOL

My 12 year old i3-2300 laptop is much faster than my newer Acer i5-9XXX laptop.

Like not even a fight. I took the Acer back it sucked so bad. And a horrible keyboard layout that was not standard.

scuba14c

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. The model number is XC-1660G-UW93. It sounds like the consensus is to avoid the Acer.

Is there a good reason to look into the Dell precision 3430 series over a higher model optiplex (5XXX or 7XXX)?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. The model number is XC-1660G-UW93. It sounds like the consensus is to avoid the Acer.
Unfortunately, can't find anything that shows the insides well or details internal connectors and all.

Is there a good reason to look into the Dell precision 3430 series over a higher model optiplex (5XXX or 7XXX)?
Not really for these purposes.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unfortunately, can't find anything that shows the insides well or details internal connectors and all.

Not really for these purposes.
The precision is their "workstation", right? It may come with a better power supply because their workstations can have higher power draw video cards. I doubt that makes much of a difference, unless doing additional things with this pc.

One thing to consider is that windows 10 EOL is 10/14/2025. Looks like that Dell is about $200. If you want a windows 11 compatible PC, you can get one with an i5-8400 for around $75 more:
(it's a Vostro, I don't know how that compares to the Optiplex, though)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, their workstation. Started to mention a somewhat better power supply but as you say for this use doesn't really matter. The Vostro is the more consumer-level line. Don't come apart as easily, don't have some of the business features in BIOS, some port differences, more plastic, etc.. Not sure that generation has an M.2 slot as the more recent Optiplex does. More in line with the Acer. But again would be OK as a basic BI server if you found a good deal.