Dell Optiplex 7060

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread after doing a search on "Optiplex 7060" but on later inspection that seems to have been a rather off-topic post in that long thread so let me try again...

I just picked up an Optiplex 7060 from Amazon but I have a problem. Where the heck is the power connector for my WDC Purple HD? I don't see any of th larger power connectors in here. There is a spare SATA data cable but don't I need a power cable? On the old 7010 the power cable came right out of the power supply.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same answer I gave in that other thread LOL

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah but in that other thread this was really OT as your quote above indicates. I'm looking but there is no appropriate looking power connector that I can see in there. Like I say the 7010 had this power connector coming right out of the power supply. This 7060 has the newer 4-pin power connector coming out of the power supply and nothing else. Or at least I don't see anything else.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The funny thing is that connector looks so different from the side. It only has five wires on it but it has about 16 contacts.

Now I'm trying to figure out what I should do with the old SSD, which I also plugged in, and which also has Win10 on it. It there an easy way to make sure it never tries to boot off of it?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Format it.
Remove it.
Why do you need it in there at all?
What is the system currently booting from?
I need it in there to try to salvage my old BI configurtion and whatever else I had saved on it such as video clips and notes.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The funny thing is that connector looks so different from the side. It only has five wires on it but it has about 16 contacts.

Now I'm trying to figure out what I should do with the old SSD, which I also plugged in, and which also has Win10 on it. It there an easy way to make sure it never tries to boot off of it?
You should set it up so Windows, Blue Iris and the Blue Iris database is all on the SSD.
Then install a WD Purple surveillance drive for all the video files to record to.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does the computer boot already without the old SSD in there?
Or do you need to install windows first?

If you're wanting to install windows just have only the one drive in there. Nothing else.

Once windows is installed you can plug the other drives in and they shouldn't try to boot.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should set it up so Windows, Blue Iris and the Blue Iris database is all on the SSD.
Then install a WD Purple surveillance drive for all the video files to record to.
Oh yes, my old 7010 system croaked a few weeks ago so after much procrastinating I finally decided to pick up this 7060 from Amazon.

I now have the new 500GB SSD that it is booting off of and from the 7010 I have the old 256GB SSD and my 8TB WDC Purple. Not sure if I need to verify that there is no boot order confusion but that isn't a simple task anymore.

Also the only BI configuration backup that I see on the old drive is from 2021.

Last edited:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the computer boot already without the old SSD in there?
Or do you need to install windows first?

If you're wanting to install windows just have only the one drive in there. Nothing else.

Once windows is installed you can plug the other drives in and they shouldn't try to boot.
Yes, that is what I did.

SodFather09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread after doing a search on "Optiplex 7060" but on later inspection that seems to have been a rather off-topic post in that long thread so let me try again...

I just picked up an Optiplex 7060 from Amazon but I have a problem. Where the heck is the power connector for my WDC Purple HD? I don't see any of th larger power connectors in here. There is a spare SATA data cable but don't I need a power cable? On the old 7010 the power cable came right out of the power supply.
Did you look in the bios and make sure it had the right cpu and ram amount. i got screwed time after time buying off Amazon .

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you look in the bios and make sure it had the right cpu and ram amount. i got screwed time after time buying off Amazon .
FYI - Dell Refurbished themselves also screw up .. so always check .. ( example, sending you a system that is not as described in quality / components .. )