Dell Optiplex

Matt_A

n3wb
Reaction score

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think so unless you want to run windows 7. At generation 8, the Intel chips had a huge performance increase. No point in going earlier if running win 10 or 11, and gen 8 machines can be had for less $ that the one you linked to. (i7-6700 is gen 6).

Matt_A

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think so unless you want to run windows 7. At generation 8, the Intel chips had a huge performance increase. No point in going earlier if running win 10 or 11, and gen 8 machines can be had for less $ that the one you linked to. (i7-6700 is gen 6).

Thanks very much!

Can you point me to somewhere that has gen 8 machines for good prices?

Matt_A

n3wb
Reaction score

What terms should I search for? I have not used Ebay in a decade. I favor the fat towers with lots of expansion slots. This any good?:

Of course, I understand the nature of auctions. I'm not looking to hold anyone accountable -- just trying to head down the path of the best value ......

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
When looking at performance be aware at a gen8+ i5 is at least as fast as a pre-gen8 i7, so if that i7-6700 was fast enough for you, a newer i5 is at least as powerful, and you wouldn't need an i7. The newer i7s have a noticeable premium over the more common i5s. A random example:
Dell Optiplex 7060 Tower 3.0 GHz Core i5-8500 16GB RAM 256GB SSD DVDRW Win10 | eBay

I'm not a BI user, but I think you don't really need a lot of expansion. Most BI users are using SFF boxes. I've bought about 8 machines from ebay and have been consistently lucky. I prefer from a source with multiple identical machines on the theory they are used business machines and probably not beat up. Make sure you get the configuration you want or your final cost will go up. For instance, whatever you get should have an SSD.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I favor the fat towers with lots of expansion slots...
The larger Dell Optiplex towers don't really give you much over the SFF. You get a somewhat larger power supply but there isn't a built-in place for 3.5" drive expansion beyond the one. Plenty of space to stuff things in there somewhere but not with a ready-made slot for it. I kind of made the mistake of assuming that there would be when I got mine. Don't really need some big video card for BI and it's not an application where you're driving things so hard that added space/cooling is a benefit. So you end up with a lot of extra size that's not really all that effectively used. I think the HP EliteDesk are the better way to go for BI with two easy 3.5" bays. Even if you just use one drive the SFF or EliteDesk pretty much do the same and all you need in a smaller package.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want a decent tower with room like the older Optiplex "used to have" I'd suggest the Dell Precision 3630 tower. I have one now they are cheaper. I beleive they are rated for a Nividia GT2070 or maybe higher. plus WIn 11, and 3- full Hard drive bays

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a decent tower with room like the older Optiplex "used to have" I'd suggest the Dell Precision 3630 tower. I have one now they are cheaper. I beleive they are rated for a Nividia GT2070 or maybe higher. plus WIn 11, and 3- full Hard drive bays
I lean toward Dell mini-towers that use standard, available-anywhere ATX power supplies like the one you linked....the proprietary supplies in many of the newer Dells are expensive and somewhat wimpy anyway....IMO.