Dell T1700 SFF Second drive

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to add additional drive to my BI computer.
Its a Dell T1700 SFF case, I have one room for 3.5" and another one I can place instead of the CD drive, its 2.5" however I add SSD so I'm good.
BUT, The power coming from the MB is one regular sata connector and the CD has a 2 wire other connected, I think its ODD or something.
I've bought from AE a new cable that has 2 SATA's but if its connected I get orange led and can't turn the computer on.

How can I install another drive there ? should I but sata power splitter or adapter from CD power connected to regular sata ?

CD connector on top
1600587759378.png

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its mini 6-pin not the one you find in a modular PSU.
It going directly to the motherboard. Its actually kind of possible to see in the picture.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its mini 6-pin not the one you find in a modular PSU.
I see it now after Googling an image that SFF M/B and the white screening on the M/B for "HDD_ODD_POWER"
It going directly to the motherboard. Its actually kind of possible to see in the picture.
I'll take your word on that, as these 71 year old optical receptors in my head can't pick that up. ;)

Perhaps that adapter is mis-wired, since it appears in the AE image to be hand made.
EDIT: ...or not wired as most M/B "P" connectors are, since it's a Dell and it's screened the way it is (makes me think proprietary / Dell-special).

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the cables and where they go and compare them to your new cable, you should be able to pull the pins out of the cable that attaches to the motherboard and rewire them.

My son uses a Dell and what I did was solder an extra sata power plug directly to the existing cable.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, when business will be open again i'll just get that splitter.