Designing new network for BI

Tucson

n3wb
Reaction score
Happy New Year, everyone.

I bought a tear-down in a good neighborhood, but instead of razing it, I have decided to renovate it. It’s a small property in terms of square footage, but I think I’ll need a fair amount of cameras to cover it properly. There are three small buildings situated on very different elevations and the whole property is semi-rural, meaning people can approach from every angle.

I have buried shielded CAT6 cable with the new water lines and electrical feed which is terminated in shielded keystone jacks. (I am aware of the potential for interference from the 120/240VAC, but since the trench was open, I decided to throw it in. The lines are separated vertically by 12in).

All underground runs are less than 300ft. Each building is connected to the two others, which should allow me to reconfigure the network and maintain connectivity if any one of the underground cables fail.

My question is really about how to design the network for the property. My requirements for the network are:
  • 16 PoE cameras recording 24/7 using Blue Iris
  • Wireless internet in all three buildings (I expect maximum load to be four people streaming video simultaneously)
  • Allow access for the Blue Iris Android app

Networks are something I have never worked with, but I am determined to figure it out. I want a basic, low-maintenance solution. I will derive no pleasure from fiddling with it, so I am aiming for set-and-forget.

The attached pdf shows a drawing of what I think I need. Will this work or am I missing something?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tucson

Attachments

Reaction score
Nice drawing and welcome to the forum. Please read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI. There is a lot of information there that can help you achieve your goals.

It is important to isolate your cameras from the internet. There are two way to do this. One is using VLANs and the other is to physically separate them. The Cliff Notes discuss this. Make sure you do not use WIFI cams as they will saturate your WIFI network.