Desktop Frame will not go away

Jimm

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to somehow get a camera window into a desktop frame. Then I lost that window entirely and couldn't find it. Finally I found someone with the same problem who had switched all of their windows to desktop frames and had managed to find their missing window. Then the solution was to click on each window and unclick the "Open in Desktop Frame" option. This works fine until I close the admin console and reopen it. Upon reopen all of the cameras are back in desktop frames - I have tried this multiple times including rebooting the entire machine and still the cameras keep coming back in their own desktop frames even though I right click on each one and unclick the desktop frame option. btw, I would really like to totally disable this feature if I can.

Can anyone suggest how to get the cameras out of the desktop frames and have them stay out of desktop frames rather than pop back into them each time the admin console is opened? I don't really want to delete each camera and re-add it to fix this problem.

thanks
Jim

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this will help. From BI's "Help" , in "Update Notes", under 5.5.1 Sept. 23, 2021:

The camera layout option to Open in desktop frame is now memorized per group as well as per
camera. When selecting a group on the console, cameras are automatically moved to the
desktop or back to the console. Cameras that are not in the selected group are left as they
were. Camera desktop window position is currently not group dependent at this time.

Jimm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried creating a cam group and adding all of the cameras to that group and then positioning them in the admin window. However, after restarting the admin window all of the cams were back as desktop frames. It turns out that I had missed a critical step.

Next I put the admin console in "Edit Layout" mode by clicking the pencil inside of a square icon on the upper right just to the right of the Groups dropdown. This is the critical step. This makes the background green around all of the cameras showing. Then I hovered my mouse of the admin console on the task bar and clicked on each window individually to bring each one to the foreground over the admin window, then I clicked on that desktop frame and then right clicked and unselected "Open in desktop frame". That action added that window to the admin console window. I did this for each window while the green background was showing, then I clicked on the "Edit layout" button again to get out of editing the layout and the green background went away. All cameras were showing at this point in the admin console. Then I closed the admin console and reopened it, and all of the cameras were correctly in the admin window.

The key to making this work is to have "Edit Layout" enabled before trying to add the cameras back to the admin console layout. It appears that blue iris has a default group called "All Cameras". When I created my new group called MyCamGroup and put all of the cameras in that group and then Edited the Layout and disabled Open in Desktop Frame for each camera, if I selected MyCamGroup in the group drop down in upper right, all of the cameras showed up on the admin console, but if I selected the All Cameras group then all of the cameras went back to their desktop frames. This happened because I had edited the layout with MyCamGroup selected in the group dropdown and sure enough blue iris does memorize the desktop frame per group. So I selected the All Cameras group then went into Edit Layout and disabled the Open in Desktop Frame for each camera again. At the end of this I disabled edit layout and closed the admin console and reopened it. Now all of the cameras showed up the admin console in both MyCamGroup and the All Cameras Group.

Basically, the key for me to fix this was to be in edit layout mode while disabling the Open in Desktop Frame.

Thanks again for the tip!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for the tip!
You're welcome...and thanks for posting what you did, it will likely help someone else.
BTW, I noticed this was your first post since you joined in 2015 and I'd say you likely have read a lot on IPCT and solved most of your issues yourself prior to this one, which says a lot.

Your first post earned you your first "Like" ! :cool:

Jimm

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris is a great product, and I can see how some users would make good use of Opening a cam in a desktop frame. It's frustrating when you accidentally get the config changed and can't figure out how to get it back again, whether it's blue iris or your phone or some other device. Hopefully I put enough detail in the description for someone else to recover from accidently getting into this problem :)

Now I know more than I needed to know about groups and desktop frames :)