Detecting BI Mobile events in Tasker

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to detect Blue Iris Mobile push notifications using Tasker, on a (Android) tablet?

I've got the Blue Iris mobile app installed on an Android tablet. I've also got 'push events' configured in BI for Windows. When motion is detected near my front door, a sound plays on my tablet and a notification bar appears at the top of the screen. That's OK, up to a point, but it would be useful to do something else with the notification. Does anyone know how to detect these events using Tasker?

The particular use I have in mind is to use the event to switch a video monitor to the camera that detected the movement. This is something that BI can't do.

I've got everything set up on the tablet - I'm just missing a way to detect the notification events.

Thanks,

Pete

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can use Tasker's AutoNotification plugin to intercept notifications from any Android app, including Blue Iris. Please note that you will need the 'full' version, as the seven-day trial version does not support interception.

Here's a DEMO... the screenshot below shows the result of AutoNotificaton intercepting an incoming Blue Iris App notification on my device. At the top of the screen you see the BI App's originating heads-up notification. Under it you see Tasker's response -- a custom Tasker 'Scene' (green with action buttons).

In this demo, I've made the Tasker 'Scene' "persistent". That is, it remains visible even after the BI App's heads-up notification has gone away. This ensures I don't overlook the notification. In fact, it is still there, big and bold, even if the phone's display has turned itself off and I've just turned it back on. (The BI App's original notification remains in the phone's notification drawer).

Of course, the actions can be anything you want, not just showing a scene. Like everything in Tasker, you must be prepared for a learning curve. To help get you started I've attached a zip file containing three xml files used to create the interception demo above. It contains a 'Profile' (*.prf.xml), a 'Task' (*.tsk.xml), and a 'Scene' (*.scn.xml).

TaskerBlueIrisAlert.ZIP

You will need to transfer these files into a folder on your device by whatever means works best for you. This is your device 'source' folder.

After you have installed the AutoNotificaton plugin, you need to import these transferred files into Tasker. First long-press on the 'Profiles' tab to expose the Import menu (see image), then navigate to the 'source' folder to select imported file. Then repeat 2 more times for the 'Tasks' and 'Scenes' tabs.

Now you are ready to test... Just trigger any camera for which you have Alerts set to 'Send a push notification to mobile app'.

NOTE... You will likely also need to explicitly allow AutoNotificaton to intercept notifications on your android device. Click Settings | Sound & notification | Advanced | Notification access, then toggle on ‘Notification Intercept’.

To create your own actions, edit the Tasker 'Task' as desired.

Good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I tweaked the demo a bit today... the updated zip file and demo image are attached.

The 'Task' and 'Scene' now "read" and reuse the text from the original Blue Iris App notification.

The AutoNotification plugin makes this property (and many more!) available via Tasker variables (in this case the variable is %antext).

One further note... You can send test notifications from Blue Iris via this dialog:
click Camera properties | Alerts tab | Configure button (next to 'Send a push notification to mobile app') | Test

Attachments