Deterrence in urban environment

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I live on a dense, urban street with neighbors on all sides. The street has people walking down it periodically, even through the night hours.
Flashing bright lights or even playing audio probably would annoy the neighbors. And @wittaj makes the good point that flashing a bright floodlight also can interfere with camera image exposure for a few seconds until the camera readjusts.
I am using the Dahua IPC-Color4K-T, which has some lights on it. My thought was to pulse the lights, smoothly like a laptop does, bright enough hopefully to attract attention and distinctive enough to warrant caution, but not bright enough to mess with exposure.
I was wondering if others had best practices they've found useful?
-Josh

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can't pulse the lights on the 4K-T within the firmware - they are either on or off. The 4K-T is designed for performance, not deterrence. And depending on the pulse, you could get some weird exposures also.

It are the active deterrence cameras that allow that like the TIOC series. They have infrared to be able to see at night and then flash the white light or red/blue lights on trigger.

We have seen with the TIOC cameras that do flash, that unless it is completely dark, nobody will see the lights flashing unless they look up at the camera.

It is gimmicky.

Plus with the 4K-T camera, it cannot see infrared, so even if you could pulsate the light, if the image is too dark it won't see a person to even trigger the event.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep that’s an oldie but goodie.

Always figured he’d just got out of detox and then on the way home….. “ahhh not this shit again” :rofl: