Developer tampered with my cameras - Should I contact police ?

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just a little background, I have a developer about to start building a house next door, so I installed two cameras on one of my trees which sits right on the boundary line but the tree belongs to me..I installed the cameras to make sure the developer doesn't damage my fence, hedge or trees or tree roots and also for security.

But yesterday the developer freaked out saying that's its illegal for me to film into his land and climbed up the tree and pulled down my cameras.

I said i don's care what he's doing in his land and my detection area is purely set up monitoring the border such as my fence and trees as well is protecting my property from thieves as the land he's developing is really open so anyone can walk into his land and then climb over the fence into my back garden..

He said I'm breaking the law and will phone the police if I put them back but bizarrely he thinks it's ok to climb up my tree and tamper with my cameras...

Just wondered if anyone knows where I stand legally and if I can put them back and if I need to be careful at the angle they are pointing ? or could I just point them right into his land since it has no house the moment and is just a big hole in the ground

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He said I'm breaking the law and will phone the police if I put them back but bizarrely he thinks it's ok to climb up my tree and tamper with my cameras...
He could be right BUT...I agree that he mishandled the situation. He should have filed a complaint with the authorities if he felt you were breaking the law.
I would contact them myself any way so that he can be informed of your local trespassing laws.

From a UK-based organization: Domestic CCTV systems - guidance for people using CCTV

Dingoboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I highly recommend contacting local authorities. Not only to hold your neighbor accountable for what he is doing to your property, but also to be sure you are within the law regarding your use of surveillance. I wouldn't presume to know UK privacy laws, but in the US privacy becomes a significant issue especially as it pertains to the use of surveillance on/near/around someone else's property or home. I am not saying you are doing anything wrong, but highly recommend that you become very familiar with the laws in your jurisdiction.