DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Optical zoom ?

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looked through the specs, youtube, google reviews and this forum for over an hour with no certainty.
Some say that it does have an optical zoom but I can't find the power of that zoom. The specs only show the 16x digital.
The 5231 clearly shows a 5x optical zoom and a 16x digital zoom which made me even more curious why it is not clearly stated in their specs. Maybe it's just me but a written confirmation would be nice. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looked through the specs, youtube, google reviews and this forum for over an hour with no certainty.
Some say that it does have an optical zoom but I can't find the power of that zoom. The specs only show the 16x digital.
The 5231 clearly shows a 5x optical zoom and a 16x digital zoom which made me even more curious why it is not clearly stated in their specs. Maybe it's just me but a written confirmation would be nice. Thanks
I trust @EMPIRETECANDY to answer that correctly. His listing for that on amazon states "2.7~13.5mm varifocal lens".

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
heh, yep, I have always assumed it was a zoom lens based on that and the FOV changes - but OPTICAL zoom just isn't stated anywhere that I have found yet.
I do appreciate you taking a look too. :)
That is the optical "zoom". The camera is a varifocal. 13.5/2.7=5

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay then - since that is identical to the 5231 spec sheet - I'll go with it having a 5x optical zoom.
Wonder why they didn't just state it - obviously I'm new to the camera scene.
Much appreciated fenderman.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay then - since that is identical to the 5231 spec sheet - I'll go with it having a 5x optical zoom.
Wonder why they didn't just state it - obviously I'm new to the camera scene.
Much appreciated fenderman.
The X number is irrelevant, for example a 5-25 lens is 5x and a 10-50 lens is 5x, so 5x doesnt tell you much. You need to always look at the numbers.