DH-IPC-HDW3541T-ZAS slight pause/frame skip during Day/Night mode switch (SOLVED)

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
I've noticed there's a slight pause both on live stream and recording every time camera switches between Day/Night modes. Is this normal behavior? I've made a short video. You can see around 1 second skip on mode switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting - is your FPS and Iframe the same number? I could see this maybe happening if they were different.

Also what is your FPS. Keep in mind for cameras, 15 FPS is sufficient.

The CPUs in these things are small and even though a camera may be "capable" of 30FPS means you are potentially maxing out the CPU when it is switching day to night and that would cause the stutter you see as well.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting - is your FPS and Iframe the same number? I could see this maybe happening if they were different.

Also what is your FPS. Keep in mind for cameras, 15 FPS is sufficient.

The CPUs in these things are small and even though a camera may be "capable" of 30FPS means you are potentially maxing out the CPU when it is switching day to night and that would cause the stutter you see as well.
Both FPS and I frame interval are set at 30, but it behaves exactly the same at 15/30 and 30/60. Never used Dahua cams before this one so I figured this is just how (at least this model) behaves. Would be nice if someone has a similar model and could check if theirs behaves the same.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For kicks try 15 FPS and 15 iframes. If they do not match, you can sometimes get this skip as well and actually miss part of the motion trigger.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
For kicks try 15 FPS and 15 iframes. If they do not match, you can sometimes get this skip as well and actually miss part of the motion trigger.
Tried and made no difference unfortunately. Tried different resolutions and codecs as well. Also tried switching between PAL (which is default) and NTSC modes.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I think I've figured out what is going on here. This only happens if you enable Day/Night auto switching profile. There is no issues when selecting Full Time or General profile. That's kind of a bummer since I like the Day/Night profile switching.

EDIT: upon some further testing it seems it's not the profile switching itself but specific settings changes between Day and Night profiles. Specifically this 'stutter/frame skip/pause' whatever you wanna call it, happens if you enable WDR.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you have WDR disabled? It is best to try to resolve image issues via other means and only use WDR after all the other solutions have been attempted. It is such a small blip and I wouldn't let it bother you if the day/night profile is needed.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you have WDR disabled? It is best to try to resolve image issues via other means and only use WDR after all the other solutions have been attempted. It is such a small blip and I wouldn't let it bother you if the day/night profile is needed.
Yes. While WDR does help in high contrast situations I noticed it messes up image quality pretty significantly so I actually planed to disable it anyway.