DHCP question

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I activate my acusense NVR should I use the DHCP feature on the NVR? I see how that is the easiest plug and play method. I also saw somewhere that in order to avoid your IP address changing, to mark the DCHP, get the assigned IP address and then to turn that feature off. Is this a good idea?
if so, do I turn this off only after all of the cameras have been plugged in and activated? Because the cameras also have to be assigned an IP address this way to, right?

is there any reason to NOT disable DHCP?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it's a POE NVR, the NVR generally will assign IP's to the cams on its own subnet (different from your LAN) so no need to bother them. But on the NVR I would assign it's LAN a static IP that is OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it's a POE NVR, the NVR generally will assign IP's to the cams on its own subnet (different from your LAN) so no need to bother them. But on the NVR I would assign it's LAN a static IP that is OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool.
Yes it does have a POE switch in the NVR.
So please excuse my ignorance, how do I go about what you suggested?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it does have a POE switch in the NVR.
So please excuse my ignorance, how do I go about what you suggested?
Simply plug the camera in one at a time and do not plug the next one in until the camera shows up in the NVR or you run the risk of IP address conflicting all the cams.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Simply plug the camera in one at a time and do not plug the next one in until the camera shows up in the NVR or you run the risk of IP address conflicting all the cams.
Thanks

So after I do that, do I disable the NVR auto DCHP function or leave it enabled?

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The setting for DHCP in the NVR's LAN setting is separate from the cams; set it to "Disable" or "Off" and assign a static IP that is OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool.
So my DHCP range is 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.253 on my router. You’re saying to do an ip address that would be 10.0.0.300 or something like that?
sorry I am all very new to this.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You cannot assign an address that high.
What router do you have?
Most consumer level routers will let you reserve an address for existing devices.
The NVR gets an IP address from your router (say 10.0.0.10) and then you reserve that address in the router and it will only ever be given to the NVR.

Reaction score
What router do you have?
Most consumer level routers will let you reserve an address for existing devices.
The NVR gets an IP address from your router (say 10.0.0.10) and then you reserve that address in the router and it will only ever be given to the NVR.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What router do you have?

I just must not be understanding the “outside of the routers DHCP pool” statement

I have an Xfinity Xfi Modem/router.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The dhcp pool on your router is 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.253.
Your router address will be either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.254, but both of those addresses may be in use for something by the router.
You cannot use 10.0.0.0 or 10.0.0.255 (or anything higher).

So essentially you cannot set your NVR to a static address outside of the dhcp pool as it currently stands.
You would need to change the dhcp pool configuration on your router.
Eg. 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.200
And then set the IP address of the NVR to 10.0.0.201.
Setting a reservation in the dhcp pool is usually easier.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The dhcp pool on your router is 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.253.
Your router address will be either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.254, but both of those addresses may be in use for something by the router.
You cannot use 10.0.0.0 or 10.0.0.255 (or anything higher).

So essentially you cannot set your NVR to a static address outside of the dhcp pool as it currently stands.
Setting a reservation in the dhcp pool is usually easier.
Thank you so much! This makes sense!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^ THIS !!

Sorry I couldn't answer @Vandoe , but @looktall took the words right out of my mouth...
(was streaming a Vudu movie with my wife, "Where the Crawdads Sing", using that new 1G fiber we got Wednesday!) :cool:

The only thing I can add is that many ISP-furnished modem/router combo units in this neck of the woods don't have "IP reservation' in their feature set so setting the DHCP pool for the first 150 or so (like .2 to .150) leaves plenty of static IP's for your cams and other devices (.151 to .251) unless.....you plan on MORE than 100 cams! :lol:

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
+1^^^ THIS !!

Sorry I couldn't answer @Vandoe , but @looktall took the words right out of my mouth...
(was streaming a Vudu movie with my wife, "Where the Crawdads Sing", using that new 1G fiber we got Wednesday!) :cool:

The only thing I can add is that many ISP-furnished modem/router combo units in this neck of the woods don't have "IP reservation' in their feature set so setting the DHCP pool for the first 150 or so (like .2 to .150) leaves plenty of static IP's for your cams and other devices (.151 to .251) unless.....you plan on MORE than 100 cams! :lol:
I appreciate your help! I’m sure most of the people that come through here having much more of a tech understanding than I do. I wasn’t grasping the fact that I could change an IP address and I wasn’t realizing there was a public and internal Ip address. I think I understand some basics now.

So I actually have a newer Xfinity modem coming in tomorrow so will start messing with it once I get the new one. From what I have seen on google, Xfinity modems do not allow a static IP address for residential. Looks like the option available is to do a reserved ip address. Hopefully I can figure it all out.
Thanks again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From what I have seen on google, Xfinity modems do not allow a static IP address for residential. Looks like the option available is to do a reserved ip address.
That would be unusual, as we're talking about PRIVATE IP's here. Maybe you're confusing the PUBLIC or WAN IP (what the ISP provides) requirement with the PRIVATE or LAN configuration (at your house); the ISP has no say on how you configure the network devices on your LAN, whether static or dynamic (DHCP). However, many ISP's will provide a public and static WAN IP to a residence but for an additional monthly fee.

Tiny Glossary:
  • WAN : Wide Area Network; Your incoming Internet
  • LAN: Local Area Network; Your network within your residence, building, business, etc.
  • PUBLIC IP: A WAN IP that is exposed to the Internet, meaning you can access it from outside your LAN
  • PRIVATE IP: A LAN IP that is for your use and under your control and should (generally) not be exposed to the Internet
  • STATIC IP: An IP that does not change
  • DYNAMIC IP: An IP that can change. The WAN IP from your ISP is generally dynamic, assigned by your ISP's DHCP pool. Devices within your LAN that are NOT set to static should receive an IP from your LAN router's DHCP pool.
  • DHCP: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol; IP assignments made from a pool of IP addresses, generally referring to those IP's assigned by your LAN's router to devices on your LAN that are NOT set to static but also (and less often) referring to those made by an ISP as a Dynamic WAN IP

Last edited:

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That would be unusual, as we're talking about PRIVATE IP's here. Maybe you're confusing the PUBLIC or WAN IP (what the ISP provides) requirement with the PRIVATE or LAN configuration (at your house); the ISP has no say on how you configure the network devices on your LAN, whether static or dynamic (DHCP). However, many ISP's will provide a public and static WAN IP to a residence but for an additional monthly fee.

Tiny Glossary:
  • WAN : Wide Area Network; Your incoming Internet
  • LAN: Local Area Network; Your network within your residence, building, etc.
  • PUBLIC IP: An WAN IP that is exposed to the Internet, meaning you can access it from outside your LAN
  • PRIVATE IP: A LAN IP that is for your use and under your control and should (generally) not be exposed to the Internet
  • STATIC IP: An IP that does not change
  • DYNAMIC IP: An IP that can change. The WAN IP from your ISP is generally dynamic, assigned by your ISP's DHCP pool. Devices within your LAN that are NOT set to static should receive an IP from your LAN router's DHCP pool.
  • DHCP: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol; IP assignments made from a pool of IP addresses, generally referring to those IP's assigned by your LAN's router to devices on your LAN that are NOT set to static but also (and less often) referring to those made by an ISP as a Dynamic WAN IP
Understood! Thanks so much for this!

yes looks like some of the posts on the forums are confusing Public IP with internal IP but Xfinity routers do seem to have a trickier method of reserving or making static it looks like. Guess I’ll find out later today!

on a side note, has anyone use true cable brand and had any issues with it?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Xfinity routers do seem to have a trickier method of reserving or making static it looks like.
If you can't reserve the address in dhcp on the router, you could just give the NVR a static IP address from the top end of the address pool (eg. 10.0.0.250)
Addresses are given out sequentially, so unless you have 200 odd devices it should be fine.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you can't reserve the address in dhcp on the router, you could just give the NVR a static IP address from the top end of the address pool (eg. 10.0.0.250)
Addresses are given out sequentially, so unless you have 200 odd devices it should be fine.
im not too sure they give out in order. So I just got a new iPhone and in my Xfinity app its address is 10.0.0.44. And the ip address for one of my old alarm.com cameras is 10.0.0.204. And a newly connected apple tv is 10.0.0.59

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im not too sure they give out in order. So I just got a new iPhone and in my Xfinity app its address is 10.0.0.44. And the ip address for one of my old alarm.com cameras is 10.0.0.204. And a newly connected apple tv is 10.0.0.59
Which is why, IMO, just set the DHCP pool upper & lower limits to the IP's that YOU want it to dole out to non-static (DHCP) devices, leaving the upper range for you to assign to your static devices.

I've always done the above and I've NEVER "reserved an IP" in a router to this day 20 years later and never had an issue. Not saying that "reserving an IP" or "making an IP reservation" in a router is a bad practice, it works...just saying that if the router doesn't provide it OR you care to do it as I stated (use IP's that are OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool), then no worries, it's not an issue. :cool:

Last edited:

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which is why, IMO, just set the DHCP pool upper & lower limits to the IP's that YOU want it to dole out to non-static (DHCP) devices, leaving the upper range for you to assign to your static devices.

I've NEVER "reserved an IP" in a router to this day 20 years later and never had an issue. Not saying that "reserving an IP" or "making an IP reservation" in a router is a bad practice, it works...just saying that if the router doesn't provide it OR you care to do it as I stated (use IP's that are OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool), then no worries, it's not an issue. :cool:
Oh your suggestion is absolutely what I want to do! Seems pretty straightforward now that I understand what to do and why.