Did I make a good choice on Blue Iris PC?

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm one of those, who bought and returned an unused Reolink setup after delving into this forum. I've been mulling with going with an NVR or PC, and after reading a slew of critical reviews regarding the Dahua and Hikvision android apps, I've decided to go with a Blue Iris PC.

I am planning on parking it in the top of a kitchen cabinet so I need to go small. I basically looked at 3 options:

1. building from scratch - cost too much.

2. Reusing an old micro-atx Sandy Bridge i5-3570k setup. I would need a new case, new cpu cooler, and sff psu which would cost around $120 total. I however could not find a case that would fit this hardware in the space I plan on putting it.

3. Find a decent price on a new/refurb sff PC.

I today decided to go with a pretty good deal on an HP prodesk i5-8500 (Gen 8 hexacore) from ebay (after offer) for $349 shipped with 2 1/2 yrs warranty - HP ProDesk 400 G5 SFF i5-8500 3.00GHz 8GB DDR4 240GB SSD Win10 Warranty 2022 | eBay . I'll of course add a WD purple HD.

For the money given the options, I think the $349 is worth it given I am getting almost new hardware, 2 1/2 yr warranty, a case that fits my space, and plenty of processing power.

The Dahua NVR I was looking at from Andy is about $300, and it just doesn't make sense to me to save the $50 difference + poe switch cost just to get something I probably won't be satisfied with.

Do you guys think my reasoning makes sense here? I'm new to the whole Blue Iris thing, but I have been building/troubleshooting PCs for 20yrs.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can a surveillance drive be added to a Pro desk? Isn't there only one bay?

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you use a 2.5-inch SSD as your system disk, it can typically be taped right on top of the HDD and still fit nicely.
That's good to know as I figured it is a given to be able to get a hard drive in there. Also, it looks like there is a DVD drive which I would be more than willing to gut if need be.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5" I believe so get the biggest WD Purple you can afford since you can only fit a single 3.5".

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got the PC in last night but haven't opened up the box yet. I've got a 4tb Wd purple along with my switch and a 2nd nic coming.