DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CVR vs NAS vs SAN

Reaction score
Hi All,
Can any one brief the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CVR vs NAS vs SAN
Which is best for surveillance industry ?
Kindly suggest......

Thanks
Ravuth (skype : Ravuthkumar)

beek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Ravuth, Im not a security cam expert but I am Storage Engineer and can get you closer to your question. Like most things in IT "It Depends" on your needs. CVR is cloud based storage, advantages would be it's stored offsite and you don't have to supply hardware specifically for it. But the "cloud" is just someone elses computer and you will need to pay for that. NAS is Network Attached Storage, think of it as file based storage and shared or shareable, this is the more common method for most smaller home users. Think departmental shares at work and home directories, large repositories where you would want many devices or people to be able to read/write to a single location without any other dependencies. This will be SMB for windows machines, NFS for unix machines on the AFS for mac but macs can translate and mount via SMB and NFS but it's slower for them. SAN is a storage area network, there are poor man versions of this called iSCSI but it's dependent on a Ethernet connection and typically not a good solution for production level things so Im only going to address what is typically considered SAN. It's block based meaning the systems connecting to it will own and control the disks assigned to it at the block level which means it will be locked to the OS connecting to it. The advantages are it's not shared with other devices or users at the SAN level if the system owning the SAN disks wants to share it they can but then you just turned your SAN into a NAS. SAN is used for intensive applications like Databases and Exchange servers etc.

So my un professional view of where surveillance is going I would venture to guess it's probably cloud for many so they can sell you a subscription and also get your meta data. Not always a bad thing unless your into privacy and security. I think Ring is going a descent job of mainstreaming cloud storage and the security industry which would be considered cloud and Im sure there are lots more out there. Me, I have a ring doorbell and love it but I also have my own NVR and my own NAS, they all have their place and I can use one to backup the others etc. I personally don't see a use for SAN storage in the surveillance realm. For video and probably used for modern clouds is most likely object based storage . Which I haven't worked with much but I have moved data of those systems onto NAS.

James

bomack

n3wb
Reaction score
Great question. Depends on your needs, budget and what you plan to do.

If you got a decent spare computer that can support a large surveillance hard drive you could look at running NAS software such as Nas4free. Hikvision cameras can write directly to it.

Other option is buying an NVR and then installing a hard drive.

Myself I'm running Nas4free on an older 2008 computer that has an Intel e8400 with 16gb of ram. Works great for the multiple cameras I have and it's zfs filesystem.

Cloud in my opinion wouldn't record high quality videos that great.

If you have a spare computer why not try Nas4free?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
cloud based is going to eat up ALL of your upload bandwidth unless you've got some crazy fiber connection. Local storage to an NVR, if you want to back up put SD cards in the cameras and call it a day. K.I.S.S. If you want more storage than the SD cards you could hide a second NVR. also blue iris at least will take snapshots when a camera triggers and send them attached to email or upload them to ftp, that should get you more than enough frames.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
cloud based is going to eat up ALL of your upload bandwidth unless you've got some crazy fiber connection. Local storage to an NVR, if you want to back up put SD cards in the cameras and call it a day. K.I.S.S. If you want more storage than the SD cards you could hide a second NVR. also blue iris at least will take snapshots when a camera triggers and send them attached to email or upload them to ftp, that should get you more than enough frames.
Yeah. This. 100%.

I can't see cloud-based storage working under any circumstances unless you have a high-speed connection to a provider (e.g. at work I have a gig fiber connection to my central office which in turn has a 10 gig connection to a provider). At home, my cameras (15) would max out my upload bandwidth to my ISP (comcast) and any video I did get would likely be next to useless. And comcast would likely cancel my service on me.