Different settings for Day/Night

kudr

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few smart series cameras.

Can I have different settings for day and night? e.g. turning WDR off for day, but on for night.

So far, the only way I found is writing a script to call ISAPI, capture a picture, check if it is a gray scale image (means IR is on) and then apply some settings via ISAPI. Sounds overkill to me though.

Any easier solution?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why not just switch profiles at specific times, there is no reason to check an image and compare grascale.. I fireoff API command to switch to: DAY at sunrise, and another to switch to NIGHT at sunset.. each profile has unique settings; done.

kudr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks nayr. Sunrise/sunset time could work to some extend.

However, in sunny days, I think the cameras don't switch to IR mode until a lone time after sunset. Similar issue with sunrise.

That's why I'd like to rely on the auto day/night switch. And the only way I've found to detect if they are in IR mode is to check if an image is grayscale.

Wish there is an easier way to tell if the IR is ON in auto switch mode.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still have it set to auto in the daytime, so if bad weather comes in it'll switch to black and white an hour or so early.. night time is forced black and white.. works very well, seems to me like your desperately trying to make this harder than it needs to be

you are aware WDR is a daytime feature; it does pretty much nothing at night and if it does it adds noise.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no you can still auto switch just fine, the day night profiles can be both configured to auto and you can let the sensor take controll.. then they dont controll the IR cut filter at all.. all the rest of the settings can be adjusted via time.. Ive had no undesired effect, at dawn/dusk any custom settings are hardly needed.. daytime config looks perfectly fine even if it still holds onto B&W for a while longer.

RBen

n3wb
Reaction score
no you can still auto switch just fine, the day night profiles can be both configured to auto and you can let the sensor take controll.. then they dont controll the IR cut filter at all.. all the rest of the settings can be adjusted via time.. Ive had no undesired effect, at dawn/dusk any custom settings are hardly needed.. daytime config looks perfectly fine even if it still holds onto B&W for a while longer.
Is there a better solution for someone that lives in Canada where there is huge difference in sunrise/sunset seasonally? I tried scheduled switch (setting at the top of the previous above) with "auto" bellow but the picture was dark for half an hour (daylight mode) then it got bright enough after 20-30mins for the IR to turn on and then it finally transitioned back to day settings.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mine's triggered externally via API call, every day it calculates sunrise/sunset based off my geographical coordinates.. I actually have the switch over 10mins after sunrise and 30mins before sunset, because of the mountains to my west the sunsets a lil earlier and dusk is a bit longer.

the camera is just configured for always day mode, then my api call switches it to always night when it gets dark, then switches it back in the morning.

RBen

n3wb
Reaction score
mine's triggered externally via API call, every day it calculates sunrise/sunset based off my geographical coordinates.. I actually have the switch over 10mins after sunrise and 30mins before sunset, because of the mountains to my west the sunsets a lil earlier and dusk is a bit longer.

the camera is just configured for always day mode, then my api call switches it to always night when it gets dark, then switches it back in the morning.
Would you mind sharing the script? I saw this but it's for Blue Iris and I'm using Xprotect https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5727-Different-settings-to-the-Hik-cams-at-sunrise-sunset-using-Blue-Iris-event-schedule