Difficult situation on resetting Dahua camera password

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Last year I have bought a NVR and 3 identical CCTV cameras, however 2 of them were Model: IPC-HFW1230S1-S4 and one is Model: IPC-HFW1230S1-S5
Now this is not the issue having a model slightly different from the other 2 so I kept it.

All 3 cameras were configured last year using the same password on NVR and cameras and only 2 cameras were mounted and one kept for future usage. The HFW1230S1-S5 model was the only camera not mounted until today.

1686080348561.png

Today, after a year, was decided to mount the 3rd camera and knowing that it was already configured, and also configured to NVR so it should've been a simple plug & play setup, right? WRONG!

The camera it appears to NVR as intended, however if I connect using the direct IP using admin user and the password that it should have exactly as other 2 cameras, it doesn't work.
I made multiple attempts with different password variants and absolutely nothing works to my surprise and why it appears the image to NVR? I probably mistyped the password and saved it wrong when I configured so my only choice is to reset the password.

If I use the 'I forgot the password' feature on the login screen, this appears and apparently I didn't even configured the details to restore the password back then.

1686080925109.png

So I started lurking on the internet and try to find a way to reset the password for this camera ( HFW1230S1-S5 ) and I found this link: DahuaWiki
Note: The camera don't have a card slot, so nothing to unscrew and press the reset button anywhere on this model

I downloaded the ConfigTool and followed the steps from the link to reset the password and sent the e-mail to Dahua with the .xls file extracted from the camera in hope they will send me the file needed to import and have the prompt to reset the password.
But I got this e-mail as reply back:

1686081168391.png

Apparently Dahua is not willing to help me on this case so I contacted the reseller I bought the camera last year, I explained the issue and they say I must send the camera back so they can reset it. The problem is that this will cost me 20E the reset password fee + transport tax which cost me like a new camera at this moment and I'm not willing to pay that. I tried to explain the reseller that all I need is me to send them the file I extracted, then they will send the e-mail to Dahua with the file I sent them using their organization e-mail partnership so Dahua will give them the file needed to prompt the reset password in which they send me that file and all was done. Unfortunately the technician wasn't helpful and insisted on sending the camera to them and paying that price.

I tried contacting by Phone the number Phone Support: 877-606-1590 in US while I am from Romania in hope someone from Dahua directly could help me in this case, and again no help. They will work only with US citizens and not Europeans they say. Ok, who should I contact then? Couldn't give me an info about that.

So here I am, stuck with a camera that I have access to it with NVR that was memorized a year ago with a password I don't know and I am unable to configure the camera on my Phone because the password I thought it have doesn't work and I can't even reset the camera.
I need an advice on this because I am really out of options here.

Is there a way to extract the password of the camera from NVR somehow? or change the password through NVR? No ideea.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah we are not their intended audience so they won't take your phone calls.

You have to factory reset the camera. If it has an SD card slot it is usually next to it. If not you will have to take it apart and find the reset or do a jumper.

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah we are not their intended audience so they won't take your phone calls.

You have to factory reset the camera. If it has an SD card slot it is usually next to it. If not you will have to take it apart and find the reset or do a jumper.
Yeah, why selling the product if they're not going to give support to us?
Like I mentioned, this model don't have a SD slot, so nothing to unscrew and find the reset button unfortunately. I don't want to go unscrew the whole camera to find a reset button and breaking something. I did that in past and the camera no longer was waterproof and the lens was always full of water from inside.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you checked if your access works with the other two cameras?

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you checked if your access works with the other two cameras?
yes, I have access and everything is ok on those 2 cameras since those were already setup last year and still working.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You bought from a 3rd party seller, not Dahua....

The homeowner isn't the Dahua and Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a "Hikvision" or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

So you either take it apart or have a camera not working...

If you want support then you buy consumer stuff like Lorex, Ring, Arlo as they sell to homeowner and have worked support calls into their price.

Buying a Dahua from Amazon or 3rd party seller doesn't come with Dahua support. They will tell you to talk to the seller you bought it from.

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want support then you buy consumer stuff like Lorex, Ring, Arlo as they sell to homeowner and have worked support calls into their price.
The problem with those consumer stuff like Lorex and Ring is that those are just garbage and a nightmare in terms of security while providing less flexibility in configurations like Dahua or Hikvisions does.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
tried this?
Default Accounts and Passwords

• Username: admin. Password: admin.
  • Username: 888888. Password: 888888.
  • Username: 666666. Password: 666666.
  • Username: default. Password: default.

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
tried this?

Yes,
none of them works.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
dahua ip camera username is admin password is 1234567a

I made multiple attempts with different password variants and absolutely nothing works to my surprise
These cams do have a cooldown time after entering a wrong pw. Do you see that happening?

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
dahua ip camera username is admin password is 1234567a

These cams do have a cooldown time after entering a wrong pw. Do you see that happening?
Yes,
Password 1234567a not working...just tested.
After 5 failed attempts it is blocked for 300s before trying again.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you don't want to open the camera, why don't you just configure it from the NVR? The NVR knows the right PW it seems.

JaJe

n3wb
Reaction score
If you don't want to open the camera, why don't you just configure it from the NVR? The NVR knows the right PW it seems.
I don't need the configuration from NVR, I need the password so I can have the camera on TinyCam app using external IP/Port.

knight2000

n3wb
Reaction score
tried this?

I registered into this forum just to thank you! I had a problem with a invalid password or login and this worked for me. Thank you.