Difficulty in finding the IP camera that I need, any advice based on my requirements?

sk77289

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks -

I seem to be having a very difficult time finding an wireless IP camera that fits my needs. I've tried numerous cameras off Amazon (poor quality and features), and recently tried one of Samsungs cameras...but none meet my needs. Any chance someone here has some ideas on cameras I can try? Here's the requirements:
  • It has to support wifi connectivity.
  • I don't want a DVR, I want to record directly to a windows or NAS share on my network.
  • I don't want to buy a whole package (i.e. 5 camera setup), but rather buy one camera at first, make sure it meets my needs, then add on more.
  • AC power is fine.
  • Don't plan to use cloud storage, but don't really care if that's a feature as long as I can store video locally.
  • Prefer at least 720P, with obviously the generally widest angle I can get.
  • I not only want to be able to watch one or more cameras live, but I also want to be able to go back to recordings.
  • I'd like it if included software could self clean older save videos, but if necessary I can write a script for that.
  • Night vision.
  • Motion detection.
  • Nice to have (but not required) would be a phone app that I could use local on LAN, or perhaps even remotely over 4G using port forwarding on my router.
  • Another nice to have (but not required) would be ability to rotate/zoom camera remotely.

I would be forever grateful if anyone had any recommendations for camera(s) that meets any/all of these needs.

Thanks in advance!!!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: Difficulty in finding the IP camera that I need, any advice based on my requireme

Why obviously? Wider angle means less detail, it's a common mistake that a lot of people make with cameras. Better to get the precise angle you need. A lot of people get 2.8mm lens and 90 degree angles when 4mm and 75 degree angle would be much better for them.

Anyways, DS-2CD2132F-IWS + Hikvision Power Supply will do everything you need except it's 3MP.

First link is to Nellys, they are vendors on this forum with a great reputation. If you are US then also consider milkisbad. Don't pay too much for these power supplies, I've seen them for sale for £10+/$15+ and that is a rip-off.

If you want PTZ too (rotate/zoom) then check out the this bargain that whoslooking found: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5326-Huisun-IP-PTZ-Camera-with-Hikvision-Protocols

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Re: Difficulty in finding the IP camera that I need, any advice based on my requireme

Indoors or Outdoors?

DS-2CD2432F-IW if needed indoors, although you can still use it outdoors if it's going to be protected from direct weather (ie, under porch, etc...)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

+1 DS-2CD2432F-IW if indoors... didn't check that!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

Hi folks -

I seem to be having a very difficult time finding an wireless IP camera that fits my needs. I've tried numerous cameras off Amazon (poor quality and features), and recently tried one of Samsungs cameras...but none meet my needs. Any chance someone here has some ideas on cameras I can try? Here's the requirements:
  • It has to support wifi connectivity.
  • I don't want a DVR, I want to record directly to a windows or NAS share on my network.
  • I don't want to buy a whole package (i.e. 5 camera setup), but rather buy one camera at first, make sure it meets my needs, then add on more.
  • AC power is fine.
  • Don't plan to use cloud storage, but don't really care if that's a feature as long as I can store video locally.
  • I not only want to be able to watch one or more cameras live, but I also want to be able to go back to recordings.
  • I'd like it if included software could self clean older save videos, but if necessary I can write a script for that.
  • Night vision.
  • Motion detection.
  • Nice to have (but not required) would be a phone app that I could use local on LAN, or perhaps even remotely over 4G using port forwarding on my router.
  • Another nice to have (but not required) would be ability to rotate/zoom camera remotely.

I would be forever grateful if anyone had any recommendations for camera(s) that meets any/all of these needs.

Thanks in advance!!!
You requirements look attainable, but I would consider the requirement on the wifi. Actually, I was dismissing all cameras that didn't have wifi in the past, so most of my cams have it, but I am moving towards using POE now in most of them despite having wifi and here is why. Wifi speed on these cams usually slower then even cheapest access point can achieve. If the cam is near access point you might be ok, but the further away from the router the worst it becomes. All Hikvision cameras have POE which basically means you can just use a simple poe wall plug and plug it to mini access point/router and have wifi capability for any camera. Advantage of the POE power is that you can any length power cable vs being stuck to a short cable for AC power. Bottom line don't bother with wifi requirement, poe is the way to go which is extendable to have wifi for any cam. As far as which cam to get, depends if you want indoor/outdoor and if you want ptz zoom. For indoor 2432 with 2.8mm lens is a good choice, but if you want Pan Tilt Hikvision also has number of options. For outdoor I can recommend the new mini PTZ from Huisun which basically Hikvision in a blanket. It's about the same price as 2432, but has Pan Tilt and 10x zoom.

Last edited by a moderator:

sk77289

n3wb
Reaction score

Thank you all very much for the feedback!!

This was indoor for now, outdoor if I like the camera and interface.

I wasn't even aware POE factor, and seems to make much more sense instead of Wifi+separate power.

I will look at both the DS-2CD2132F-IWS and DS-2CD2432F-IW.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Indoors DS-2CD2432F-IW (it's designed for that), don't bother with the DS-2CD2132F-IWS indoors.