Difficulty with cat5 connectors

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
There is probably a better place to ask about this but I thought you guys might have some experience at this. It looked like a good deal - a box with cat5e wire, connectors, a crimper, and test kit. I have redone connections on one run 4 times. The 2 piece test kit says it ok but the camera won't connect and neither will my laptop. I thought maybe it was the connectors and bought some more but same result. Could this cheap crimper be the problem? or maybe the person using the crimper (me)? I have crimped cat5 before on a couple of runs but I think I borrowed my son-in-law's crimper on that. The connectors don't seem that snug of a fit to me, I can wiggle them a little and see the ethernet lights on the camera come and go. Very frustrated.
Thanks,
George

Reaction score
Could be a bad port on the camera.

? Is the connector you're using matches the wire you are using (aka, solid wire, solid rated connector)

Git

Banned
Reaction score

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
He says his tester is testing it fine....aka, simple continuity test. So there's no mismatch.
More the plug or the camera

OP. Do a simple test. Take a factory made patch cord. Hook it up. Does it look fine then. If not, deduce to the port on the camera

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
EZ-RJ45 also has a really nice crimper tool that is designed to work with their RJ45 connectors. I use it for a different brand of shielded connectors (Ubiquiti Toughcable Connectors) and it works perfectly every time.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I've connected these before but for some dumb reason I had my color code wrong. I just reconnected with the proper wiring code and it works, thanks for your responses.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used the inserts that come with cat6 clips with great success and similar to the above setup just much cheaper. 100 clips with inserts for 10 at monoprice.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, I've got all 3 cameras working ethernet now and I have a dumb question. Should there be any difference in video quality? I could swear the video looks better since I hard wired them, but I think it may just be psychological - I just want the video to look better after all my hard work. The highs here in Texas have been around 100 so I try to do the attic work early and be quick about it.