Digging trenches and water pipes - enough said

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, I was digging a trench to lay conduit in readiness for a couple of cameras in a letterbox. Enough said, I can laugh about it now though my misses gave me grief all night long.

View attachment Broken water pipe, not my fault.mp4

EDIT: ps. Video captured by Andy's IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I try very hard to never use a pick or combo tool like that one when trenching anywhere there is even a remote possibility of pipe/electrical being underground. Even that is not fool proof, but I have yet to damage anything. Granted, I don't dig trenches all day every day.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I try very hard to never use a pick or combo tool like that one when trenching anywhere there is even a remote possibility of pipe/electrical being underground. Even that is not fool proof, but I have yet to damage anything. Granted, I don't dig trenches all day every day.
Neither do I, and that is the last one I should be digging, I'm getting too old for this. As you can see, I'm still landscaping as well, back-breaking work.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm using now for the cameras, but as good as Ubiquity is it won't work for 220V/50A service and generator lines unfortunately. I'll probably be renting a tractor with a front bucket and backhoe so I'll use that for the trench. I don't mind shovel work, but why do all that labor? I will be doing a hand trench across the driveway for power and low voltage conduits but that's only going to be 16 feet or so. The shed is more like 75 with tree roots to deal with.

Last edited:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm using now for the cameras, but as good as Ubiquity is it won't work for 220V/50A service and generator lines unfortunately. I'll probably be renting a tractor with a front bucket and backhoe so I'll use that for the trench. I don't mind shovel work, but why do all that labor? I will be doing a hand trench across the driveway for power and low voltage conduits but that's only going to be 16 feet or so. The shed is more like 75 with tree roots to del with.
If I lived just around the corner, I could give you a hand; I'm handy with a pick. :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm using now for the cameras, but as good as Ubiquity is it won't work for 220V/50A service and generator lines unfortunately. I'll probably be renting a tractor with a front bucket and backhoe so I'll use that for the trench. I don't mind shovel work, but why do all that labor? I will be doing a hand trench across the driveway for power and low voltage conduits but that's only going to be 16 feet or so. The shed is more like 75 with tree roots to deal with.
That was said in jest. :)

I'm only 67, but my back has told me to stop hand digging for any distance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Plumber now? I'm assuming below the tap for the sprinkler is your meter and stop tap so it's not strictly the feed to the house per se but the feed from the meter stop tap to the house. The latter one is definately better.

Unsure of whether there any reliable joints you can buy to fix it. In the UK it would be MDPE (Mains Diameter Polyethylene). I've seen compression joints before but I personally wouldn't be using one on an underground line especially one that feeds drinking water as any contamination might end up with you getting bacteria etc in the supply. I'm guessing the two possibilites would be either some joint I'm unaware of - might be a reliable push fit these days or maybe a plumber can weld the pipe together in some way. Alternatively, I guess it's dig up the pipe from the house connection back to the meter connection and replace.

Edit, looks like there are options if it's MDPE:

I presume these are OK underground as MDPE is usually underground. Still not sure about using compression though as it could work loose over time.

PS if you've never used push fit before, one trick I use with copper pipe, is a piece of plastic pipe (they usually have thepush fit depth marked on them these days) and put it alongside the copper pipe and mark on the copper pipe the depth the fitting has to go to with a sharpie. Then when you push the joints together, you can ensure you have pushed them all the way in. Your MDPE probably won't have marks on it as it probably predates push fit fittings and even now I don't know if they are marked. However, you may be able to get something with the depth marking on or measure it yourself onto a piece of pipe from the outside of the fitting. Also with push fit don't forget you might need pipe inserts depending on the type of pipe to support it before the fitting is fitted. MDPE is tough so I would have thought not, but I can't confess to know the answer.

Last edited: