direct burial bulk Ethernet cable recommendations

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a quality but cost effective bulk cable that can be buried?

Which is preferable; gel filled or water block tape variety?

Reaction score
I use Liquid Tight flexible conduit, in a continuous run. You can get lengths up to 100 ft. or special order longer lengths (not recommended) if needed. I run normal CAT 5e or Cat 6a through this. Liquid Tight is available in both plain flexible plastic or steel lined if you need grounding and better penetration protection. I would not just bury Ethernet cable in the ground with what I have seen what squirrels, moles and chipmunks can do.

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm planning to bury it in a 3" corrugated single-wall drain pipe. The main item in the drain pipe is a 1" plastic water line. I thought while I was running the water line into my other building, it also may be good idea to pull some ethernet cables at the same time. So while the drain pipe will offer physical protection, I suspect water will still make its way into the tile.

Currently, I have internet in the other building via a wireless router set up as a repeater. But it is a bit weak and not the most reliable.

I will also get some ethernet surge protection devices to help protect against surges/lightning.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm planning to bury it in a 3" corrugated single-wall drain pipe. The main item in the drain pipe is a 1" plastic water line. I thought while I was running the water line into my other building, it also may be good idea to pull some ethernet cables at the same time. So while the drain pipe will offer physical protection, I suspect water will still make its way into the tile.

Currently, I have internet in the other building via a wireless router set up as a repeater. But it is a bit weak and not the most reliable.

I will also get some ethernet surge protection devices to help protect against surges/lightning.
You could just run some gray PVC electrical pipe right next to the water pipe and eliminate the 3" corrugated. But if you still want the 3" pipe then I'd use schedule 40 PVC and not the cheap corrugated pipe that is meant for drainage pipes because rodents can chew right through that thin stuff not to mention water and dirt intrusion.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You might consider running direct burial fiber instead. It's slightly more expensive than copper (but not crazy expensive) and it has a lot of redeeming qualities. First, the speeds/capacity is much higher, so the odds of needing to replace it due to obsolescence is lower than copper. Second, because it is only transmitting light, it isolates the two ends electrically. This means zero chance of a surge coming through the lines and damaging equipment.

Last edited:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use underground sprinkler tubing. It's inexpensive and easy to vibrate in with a rental plow if you are OK with about 6" of depth. Then I suck a string through the tubing with a shop vac and pull in my cat6 or fiber and a pull string.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might consider running direct burial fiber instead. It's slightly more expensive than copper (but not crazy expensive) and it has a lot of redeeming qualities. First, the speeds/capacity is much higher, so the odds of needing to replace it due to obsolescence is lower than copper. Second, because it is only transmitting light, it isolates the two ends electrically. This means zero chance of a surge coming through the lines and damaging equipment.
Good idea....but just be aware that mice and other rodents like to chew through fiber optic cable, so I wouldn't leave it exposed anywhere that mice can get to it. I have fiber cable running in the crawlspace under my house and the mice had their way with it. They won't eat my Cat6 cables. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Funny you mention TrueCables. I ended up ordering from them last night.

I may also look for some fiber like another poster suggested.

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could just run some gray PVC electrical pipe right next to the water pipe and eliminate the 3" corrugated. But if you still want the 3" pipe then I'd use schedule 40 PVC and not the cheap corrugated pipe that is meant for drainage pipes because rodents can chew right through that thin stuff not to mention water and dirt intrusion.
There is already a single 3" piece of corregated stubbed through the foundation. I'm going to extend that as it will be big enough for both the water line and network cables. I doubt anything is going to chew through it when it is 20-24" underground.

kd5mdk

n3wb
Reaction score
but just be aware that mice and other rodents like to chew through fiber optic cable, so I wouldn't leave it exposed anywhere that mice can get to it. I have fiber cable running in the crawlspace under my house and the mice had their way with it. They won't eat my Cat6 cables.
Haven't eaten the Cat6 yet... ;)
this should be safe against rodents for a few years.