Direct Burial cat5e cable connectors

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to run cat 5e direct burial cable to my future outside surveillance cameras. I understand that the direct burial cable is a little bit thicker than regular cat 5e cable. So the traditional rj-45 connector may not fit. Has anybody used direct burial cat 5e cable with regular rj-45 connectors. Thanks.

bart

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much thicker your direct burial cable is, but I've easily used normal, CAT5e RJ45 connectors with CAT6 cable, which is a bit thicker than CAT5e cable.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much thicker your direct burial cable is, but I've easily used normal, CAT5e RJ45 connectors with CAT6 cable, which is a bit thicker than CAT5e cable.
Thanks for the reply. I went with the RJ45 jack for solid cable, if it works, fine, if not I'll get some keystone jacks, from Nelly's. They got a pair of keystone jacks and 6" patch cord for about 4 bucks. But I bought the cable and connectors yesterday so they should be here next week.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every cable I run for cameras is direct burial grade, even though its ran in conduit. I figure it is better even in the areas where in might be ran with exposure of any type in a wall, or across a roof, wherever. I also have also had no issues using normal RJ45 connectors, at least so far. The only cable I've used that would be pretty hard would be the Ubiquiti Carrier Grade cable, man that stuff is heavy for sure and overkill for us anyway.

I use Sireen and or Ubiquiti cable for my runs almost always, the only other cable I hate is the goo/gel filled direct burial stuff, that is just annoying to mess with.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Every cable I run for cameras is direct burial grade, even though its ran in conduit. I figure it is better even in the areas where in might be ran with exposure of any type in a wall, or across a roof, wherever. I also have also had no issues using normal RJ45 connectors, at least so far. The only cable I've used that would be pretty hard would be the Ubiquiti Carrier Grade cable, man that stuff is heavy for sure and overkill for us anyway.

I use Sireen and or Ubiquiti cable for my runs almost always, the only other cable I hate is the goo/gel filled direct burial stuff, that is just annoying to mess with.
Thanks for the reply. I stayed away from the gel filled cables for your above reasons. I'm still debating whether to use conduit or not. It is relatively cheap, so I may still use it.