Direct Burial Cat5e cable

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My NVR sits in a second floor out of three floors house.
I want to position a new IPC on ground level (first floor).
I want to use this cable:
My questions are:
1) Is it okay that the outdoor cable will not be buried in the ground, but rather hanged on the wall of the house
2) Is it okay that the cable will be buried in the ground, where it get quite wet?
3) What about using this: to hang the wall on the external wall

The plan is that the cable will be mounted on the external walls of the house (not sure how yet) then, it will reach to the yard and will be buried for the last ~7 meters before reaching the IPC.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
1.) yes, it's ok to put this cable you linked outside as it's LLDPE cable (waterproof and UV resistant from sun)
2.) yes, it's ok to put in the ground for a short distance. Usually, anything in the ground SHOULD be shielded and/or grounded cable but eh....14' buried should be ok. Be aware of outside copper + lighting without shield/ground = kaboom, is all.
3.) egads no, only because of the large diameter hole left behind when removed. Go for smallest diameter nail instead. Or if there is a need to hide the wire, use PVC tube or electrical EMT pipe.

edited some hours later. Like TonyR says, it's CCA cable. While CCA cable has it's uses, it's the ghetto for-sure-will-have-issues for networking cable purposes similar to being Catfished on single dating sites (only single guys will understand this reference)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And also, consider clamps like these; they're available in white or black, UV-resistant. You pull the cable tight before running in with a drill-driver, go from one direction to the other, pull tight with one hand, run in the screw with the other. I mount about every 36" for no or little sag.

They can be used in the mortar lines of brick: drill hole in mortar with 1/4" masonry bit, get a pack of the plastic 1/4" tap-in anchor and run the clamps screw right in.

steren-clamp.jpg

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2.) yes, it's ok to put in the ground for a short distance. Usually, anything in the ground SHOULD be shielded and/or grounded cable but eh....14' buried should be ok. Be aware of outside copper + lighting without shield/ground = kaboom, is all.
This applies also if my house is on a valley? I mean there are houses quite close that are higher than mine, but yes i'm aware that high metal post invites a lighting strikes (though not sure how common it is in my area).

3.) egads no, only because of the large diameter hole left behind when removed. Go for smallest diameter nail instead. Or if there is a need to hide the wire, use PVC tube or electrical EMT pipe.
The external wall of the house is made of concrete mixed with sand, something like this:
1668374882011.png
Since the wall is not flat, this will require drilling (rather than a small nail).
Also, if I use PVC tube or other none conductive tube, I can use a regular Ethernet cable that is cheaper than the outdoor one.

Reaction score
This applies also if my house is on a valley? I mean there are houses quite close that are higher than mine, but yes i'm aware that high metal post invites a lighting strikes (though not sure how common it is in my area).

The external wall of the house is made of concrete mixed with sand, something like this:
View attachment 145621
Since the wall is not flat, this will require drilling (rather than a small nail).
Also, if I use PVC tube or other none conductive tube, I can use a regular Ethernet cable that is cheaper than the outdoor one.
good 'ol stucco. Some stucco is 1/8" thick (like my house) or over 1/2" thick. Underside of the stucco will be wood panels of OSB or some special stucco wood....but it's wood either way. I just push a wood screw hard til it penetrates the stucco on into the wood :) I still prefer smallest diameter nail or screw that you can find for easy removal and plugging up, later down the road.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
good 'ol stucco. Some stucco is 1/8" thick (like my house) or over 1/2" thick. Underside of the stucco will be wood panels of OSB or some special stucco wood....but it's wood either way. I just push a wood screw hard til it penetrates the stucco on into the wood :) I still prefer smallest diameter nail or screw that you can find for easy removal and plugging up, later down the road.
EDIT: mine doesn't have any wood (but will double check).

Last edited: