Direct Burial CAT6 splice kit

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like someone said, I would use a good quality coupler put it inside a small box and encapsulate the inside in silicon calking.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just be sure to 100% qualify it before you sealed it totally up... lol

Make those connections perfect with as little wire untwisted in each pair as possible. I prefer the EZ RJPRO (with EZ RJ45 connectors) from Platinum Tools. I've found that their connectors do work in cheaper crimpers too, you just have to manually cut the wire ends off. Their connectors can be found in smaller packs of like 10 pieces. The way the wires feed through and out the end really allow you to pull the twists and some of the insulation as far as possible into the connector. Much more so than most any other type. Be aware though - there are plenty of rip offs and even flat out counterfeits of both Platinum's tools and connectors online and their quality is not as good.

Edit to add -

On a quick look I think I'd me more inclined to go for something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-Cat5e-Unshielded-Junction-N237-001/dp/B01L0EALTY/

That way you do not have 2 spring loaded sets of terminals just pressing against each other. I'd probably get one of these (they also have shielded) and some type of non-conductive sealant and once tested totally encapsulate it.

And yeah - I'd have been near raging furious. I'd have held back from violence but yeah, the kid would have gotten an earful.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...By the way, I use gel filled CAT6 cable with schedule 40 conduit. The conduit is not there to keep water out but for mechanical protection. Also if you use conduit always use direct burial cable since water finds ways to enter the conduit or accumulates through condensation.
It has been said...
"It's not IF water will find its way into conduit...but WHEN."
As @GCoco said: conduit is for teenager with a shovel protection.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At both the No. Calif. county & city I worked at we had a $4K underground conduit locator to locate our traffic signal and street lighting conduits as response to nearby construction (One Call, Underground Service Alert, Call-Before-U-Dig, etc.). It had a manual thicker than War & Peace and we underwent 16 hours of classroom training.

The ongoing joke was "....if you can't locate the conduit with it, go get the backhoe and start digging...it'll find anything and everything that's underground". :rolleyes:

climb.on

n3wb
Reaction score
Just thought I would show you guys what I ended up with for the splice. Here is the kit. It's called Uraseal Shake n' Seal.

IMG_7417.jpg

Cut the line. Crimped RJ45's.
IMG_7418.jpg

Inline coupler inserted in the splice kit box. Foam plugs on each end keep the sealant from oozing out.
IMG_7420.jpg

The sealant gets poured into the hole on top
IMG_7421.jpg

The sealant is a 2 part foamy epoxy like substance. You break the divider inside the tube and then shake the tube to eliminate the mess. It gets very warm and when you pour/squeeze it in, it hardens within seconds. Very short open time.
IMG_7423 (1).jpg

Cross fingers and hope it holds up. I think these kids are used in the telcom industry so I am confident it will be fine.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hope it works for you OK. Reminds me of 3M's 'Scotch Cast' I used on airport runway lighting in the late 70s' - early 90's. Expensive (as is most of 3M's stuff) but it worked (as most of 3M's stuff does).

That is so permanent I would have soldered and shrink-tubed those 4 pairs vs. that coupler. I use couplers on occasions but only when I can access them easily since it introduces more places for mechanical failure...16 to be exact on two RJ-45's.

But I really hope you get long and reliable results from your efforts!