Direct to disc time stamp

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
I have set my cameras for direct to disc, but I still see the BI time stamp and I thought it would be gone in my recordings.
Have I done something wrong?

BI 5.4.5.3

Thanks,
Grey

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Go into each camera config. Make sure that the overlay for date/time is disabled and deleted. Go into the "webcast" tab and make sure that "add text and graphics to bvr" is not selected.

You can also look in the BI help file.

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Go into each camera config. Make sure that the overlay for date/time is disabled and deleted. Go into the "webcast" tab and make sure that "add text and graphics to bvr" is not selected.

You can also look in the BI help file.
So I thought it would automagicly be gone. When you use Direct-to-disc, it is strongly-recommended to also have the camera embed its own timestamp into the video stream (otherwise the timestamp will not appear in a recording until you export it).

So am I not getting any benefits from direct to disc without disabling the overlays?

Thanks,
Grey

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Direct to disc benefits are not limited to the timestamp - it is better CPU usage, storage, etc.

As @sebastiantombs points out, you simply need to disable the timestamps. A lot of people still like that and BI will only make half happy whether it is automatically there or automatically turned off, so they opted for leave them there.

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Direct to disc benefits are not limited to the timestamp - it is better CPU usage, storage, etc.

As @sebastiantombs points out, you simply need to disable the timestamps. A lot of people still like that and BI will only make half happy whether it is automatically there or automatically turned off, so they opted for leave them there.
Okay, thanks
Grey

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use an external time server, NetTime, running on the BI machine to sync all cameras and use the time stamp from them exclusively. It seems to be the simplest solution. In all honesty, the CPU load of the time stamp is not the concern, it is the fact that adding something to a video stream after it leaves a camera can make that video useless as evidence since it was modified "after the fact". Using a time server and embedding the time in the original video stream eliminates that from coming into question.

Last edited: