Direct To Disk no Recordings

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to cut CPU usage and will be adding more cameras so I'm trying to use the Direct-To-Disk option again. My problem is that, on some of the cameras, once I turn it on nothing gets recorded. What should I be checking?

Edit: The red box still shows up indicating it is seeing movement, but not recording it. It might be just the Mobotix cameras but I'm not sure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to cut CPU usage and will be adding more cameras so I'm trying to use the Direct-To-Disk option again. My problem is that, on some of the cameras, once I turn it on nothing gets recorded. What should I be checking?

Edit: The red box still shows up indicating it is seeing movement, but not recording it. It might be just the Mobotix cameras but I'm not sure.
Its likely the mobotix cameras and any other camera that does not support h.264 or 265. Mobotix only recently started supporting h.264 so your older cams likely dont.

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Its likely the mobotix cameras and any other camera that does not support h.264 or 265. Mobotix only recently started supporting h.264 so your older cams likely dont.
Looks like the D16s do but the D14s and D15s don't. They are so expensive I just expected them to have it. That's what I get for assuming. Is there another camera that could fill their spot? I've looked but Hikvision doesn't seem to, nor does Vivotek (the 2 other brands I'm familiar with).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the D16s do but the D14s and D15s don't. They are so expensive I just expected them to have it. That's what I get for assuming. Is there another camera that could fill their spot? I've looked but Hikvision doesn't seem to, nor does Vivotek (the 2 other brands I'm familiar with).
Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam
honestly, you are better off with two separate cameras...
hikvision has a 4 way camera as well...

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
There are 2 cameras up there, each with 2 lenses for a total of 4 cameras inside a dual dome housing that mounts to a pole. It is all painted up and looks very neat and professional. We'll be adding some License Plate cameras (if we can ever get quotes back from electricians) and, given the angles, will allow us to cut back from 4 to 2 if we want to. In that case, some wider angled lenses would work well.

The Hikvision, if it's the one I'm aware of, doesn't let you angle each of the lenses. They all integrate to form 1 seamless image.

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I may have narrowed it down to the Model selected in the Video->Configure area. Those cameras set to "(MxPEG OFF)" do not record on direct-to-disk. Those set to "D14,M12/22/25 JPEGs" appear to. I'll keep looking into that. One of the cameras also gets messed up when switched and appears to morph and rotate then changed. I've attached a picture. What can I do to prevent that?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I may have narrowed it down to the Model selected in the Video->Configure area. Those cameras set to "(MxPEG OFF)" do not record on direct-to-disk. Those set to "D14,M12/22/25 JPEGs" appear to. I'll keep looking into that. One of the cameras also gets messed up when switched and appears to morph and rotate then changed. I've attached a picture. What can I do to prevent that?
I believe direct to disk only has an effect for h.264...the image looks like you enabled the 360 option in the video tab.

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like it was the flip left/right that was doing it but only on direct-to-disk. On re-encode it processed normally. Interesting.