Direct URL link to saved video clips?

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there a way to post or email someone a direct URL link to a saved video clip either through bp2008's great UI2 interface or through the Blue Iris web interface so that it plays when the link is clicked?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. But it is not terribly easy.

First you have to be recording h264 video to mp4 format (this is direct to disk compatible, fortunately).

Second, it was locked down a bit recently so that not just any user could download the clips. The person opening the link will need to log in to an account with the necessary permissions. Unless you have authentication disabled and have given all the necessary privileges to the Anonymous user account.

Anyway, the format of the URL is:

Code:
http://hostname/clips/sidegarage.20150424_104508.mp4
If you have directory listing enabled, you can just go to the /clips/ page to view a list of all clips.

I considered including functionality in UI2 to link to these when it is available, but I use bvr format myself. I tried mp4 on a couple of cams for a while but I found that Blue Iris consistently had trouble playing them back, especially through the web interface. That was unacceptable to me.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I currently save in the BVR format as well and had the same problems you did with playback when I tried switching to MP4. I had forgoten about the permission and log-in requirments. Currently I don't have anonymous access setup, so that would be another issue for me. My other option is just to convert the video and upload it to YouTube and then send a link, so no worries. Thanks!

xanmato

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey bp2008,

Would you reconsider adding it into UI2? I run BI on a vm server, so my admin method is via RDP since BI has no server/client functionality. Anyways, I use direct to disc mp4, as my Hikvision cams spit out fantastic 1080p@30fps files. Unfortunately the current state of the default and UI2 web interfaces leaves me with simply watching the videos directly over a network share, or using the web interface /clips directory. The videos play natively with no issues in firefox, so it would be fantastic if UI2 could optionally load clips using the <video> tag.

I have poked around UI2 a bit, but the way you handle image refresh for both live view and clips leaves me reluctant to try and make a mess of things.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I put it on my to-do list. I have a lot of improvements planned for the clip list and this is one of the easier changes I can make. Later on, the ability to load more than the 1000 most recent clips...