Direction of motion on detection...

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a way to get Blue Iris to report/alert the general direction of the object which caused a motion trigger....

Like if someone is generally walking left to right, or right to left? Or up and down? Or any number inbetween?

I have codeproject AI running as well. Best I can tell is that works on stills...

I did a search and everything talking about direction is giving people instructions on setting up triggers....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You wold have to set up clones for that. So set up Cam1 for left to right and Cam1clone for right to left, etc. if the direction of travel is important to you.

You might be able to do it with motion zones as well if it would report motion AB meaning motion went from A to B or motion BA meaning motion went from B to A. It puts the zones in the memo, but I don't know if they are directional or if it will say AB regardless of whether it is AB or BA (I haven't tested that LOL).

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I set up a left zone (A), and a right zone (B). I did A-B and everything seemed to show AB

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.30.50 AM.png

I changed the setting to this... I'll report back when I have some more cars drive by. Is there a way to get this Memo into an MQTT message?

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.31.41 AM.png

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I had another idea which I thought might work, but it turned out not to either....

I set the left half the area to be Zone A and also zone D.

I set the right half of the area to be Zone C and B.

I created this rule.

I now get a memo saying "MOTION_ABCD"..... Crap...

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 10.42.40 AM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like clones is your best bet. And maybe a support ticket to BI asking if the memo field can put the letters in accordance to their trigger, so AB for A to B and BA for B to A, etc.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like clones is your best bet. And maybe a support ticket to BI asking if the memo field can put the letters in accordance to their trigger, so AB for A to B and BA for B to A, etc.
Already done on Friday. But feel free to add one yourself to increase my odds of it occuring!

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I played around with this a little bit.

I ended up cloning the camera, and then using just the sub-stream only in that instance to detect A -> B, and then I created another clone that did B > A. So I have two clones that only use substreams. I just changed the payload in the MQTT direction to say left to right and right to left. I hid them so they don't show up in the panel alerts. When they showed up in the alert window before hiding them, I got errors when clicking on them because neither records video.

The original records the video and does the AI. I am actually not using any substreams on that currently. I didn't want to have two recording on two camera and didn't want to tweak the AI and all the settings twice.

It seems to be working ok. The issue is the cameras using substreams are NOT using any AI to filter out the triggers, so they don't necessarily jive with the main camera.

I think the real way to have this happen is for something in the alert be able to figure out which way the transition occurred... This is kind of a kludge...

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I am told this feature to report motion between zones in now in 5.7.7.7..... I will test tomorrow and get back to you...

Edit: meaning that the &MOTION_TYPE will different for which zones are crossed!!!!!

We should be able to infer direction...

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When somebody says "clone" a camera" my brain goes into a Lost in Space " does not compute" flailing arm motion reaction.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update:

So I tested the &TYPE with 5.7.7.7 and the zone crossing. It worked great!!!

Below, I had a car leave my street (left to right- A>B), then one arrive (B>A) and then another leave. See log below from Homeseer (gets there via MQTT- should work for HA as well).

The MOTION_TYPE for left to right is A>B (leaving), and right to left is (B>A) arriving.

One caveat: when I set the motion crossings as A-B, I got one reporting (A>B) and the other reported just A. When I changed the motion crossing to "A>B, B>A", it worked as intended. I emailed the author to see if this is the intended functionality.

I am stoked.

6/9/2023 8:35:19 AM
Script
Plate
Plate detected: XXG823 Probability: DayPlate:100% MOTION TYPE MOTION_A>B
6/9/2023 8:35:10 AM
Script
Plate
Plate detected: XXP540 Probability: DayPlate:99% MOTION TYPE MOTION_B>A
6/9/2023 8:23:53 AM
Script
Plate
Plate detected: XXZZ76 Probability: DayPlate:94% MOTION TYPE MOTION_A>B

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.33.51 AM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is awesome and one of the great things about BI - they are CONSTANTLY making improvements, including user requested features. Try that with an NVR!

Mluck0315

n3wb
Reaction score
curious if anyone has succeeded in producing directional events, as above, but using BI alert actions, rather than MQTT. I’d love to use A>B,B>A logic for the trigger and then pass “arriving” to one action and “departing” to a different action. Except, on the BI actions tab, you can only specify one or more zones (including any/all/=), but no use of “>” in defining the alerting criteria.

Anyone figured this one out?