disapointed hik buyer

ntenz

n3wb
Reaction score
Bought my first hik (ds-2cd2342wd-i) to replace a dlink.
Must say i'm disapointed.
Trying to get the hik to save video on motion detection, impossible.
There is no way to get it to save to ftp server.. (thought everyone had the posibility to do this)
Trying to get it to save to my qnap nas, not working, setting up nfs, i'm "formating" the space, working for a few min, and the state of disk goes back to uninitialized.
Is Hik doing things half way, to get people to buy their NVR's that hopefully works better togheter?
There is no security in having the recordings inhouse, if breakin or fire, the nvr with the evidence is long gone.
How do people here solve this?
At this time, i would actually say that the firmware of the dlink is better than hik, but the videoquality sucks

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You could just use qnap surveillance app (I do just that until I get nvr), but I am not sure if this cam is supported yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no ftp for video on the hik... You would be uploading way too much.. Most of us use an nvr or pc based vms... You can hide any of those.. They will not be looking all over your house for for a tiny nvr or network drive... Some use a sync service like Google drive with blue iris to upload clips..
The hikvision is a superb camera with great video and advanced motion detection that is not available on toy cameras like the dlink..
You can write directly to nas but it needs to be setup correctly... There are a few threads on this...
Uploading video via ftp is not done in realtime so if the camera is disconnected before the upload is complete you lose your video anyway...recording locally is a better solution.
Sent via Taptalk

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While you can't upload video over FTP, you can upload still snapshots. Not sure what the quickest interval is, but I believe (if I'm not mistaken; someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you can FTP images at millisecond intervals. You could then analyze each frame or combine them with software or a script to create a video clip. In reality, even 1 frame every second or two is probably enough for security purposes. I've seen examples of where people FTP images every few seconds and use a script to combine the images. Seems to work well and is an option if you must go that route.

ntenz

n3wb
Reaction score
Been playing around a little more, the security options are awsome.
I finaly got the cam and nas to work togheter, smb/cifs and a 200gb quota, looks like it did the trick.
About pictures to ftp, i'm still strugeling, i see from the log that the different detections are triggered,
i also set it to grab a picture every 1h, on the playback option on the cam the pictures is ok. but no jpg on the ftp.
The ftp setup should be fine, i get the test file on it.
A hik nvr, is it possbile to set it up to mirror against a ftp?