Disappointing Night Vision On Nelly's NSC-202-BT Cameras

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a couple of Nelly's NSC-202-BT cameras but I'm not too thrilled with the night performance. The big white blob may be the cause of most of my problems as I've got the cameras pointed about at the same place. Pointing the one on the right more toward the yard (further to the right) makes the grass glow a big white blob as well and produces the same effect. Cameras settings are pretty much factory default, though I've tried playing around with a few of the settings but can't seem to find a happy medium.

Am I just washing this out? I've thought about getting another IR light to illuminated the whole area but not sure if that will help or hurt. They're mounted under the eaves of my garage. Any suggestions?

Night_Cam.JPG

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i think what your complaining about is the halo effect given off by the ring of through hole IR leds surrounding the lens, cameras with this type of IR show this behavior.. other than that the images look fine, but you might be getting some IR reflection off your soffits too.. if you point them down more does it help?

do you have an option to disable the onboard IR? try doing that on one of the cameras

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i think what your complaining about is the halo effect given off by the ring of through hole IR leds surrounding the lens, cameras with this type of IR show this behavior.. other than that the images look fine, but you might be getting some IR reflection off your soffits too.. if you point them down more does it help?

do you have an option to disable the onboard IR? try doing that on one of the cameras
Turning one off just makes it a bit more grainy. And... I noticed the halo effect as well. I wonder if turning off the IRs and using a better external IR would help me out. I plan to buy a 2.8mm turret here soon for the inside of the garage. Maybe I'll temporarily replace one of the bullets with a turret.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
since this is a driveway I presume there will be vehicles parked in it, or do you park always in garage?

if you disable the internal IR and go w/external lighting at another location you wont get flare from reflectors and license plates.. see attached images.

you also dont have problems w/bugs I think it adds detail because you'll have shadows and more depth data.. your IR is not wide angle enough for the camera, and I recommend 6mm minimum for driveways.

Attachments

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
since this is a driveway I presume there will be vehicles parked in it, or do you park always in garage?

if you disable the internal IR and go w/external lighting at another location you wont get flare from reflectors and license plates.. see attached images.

you also dont have problems w/bugs I think it adds detail because you'll have shadows and more depth data.. your IR is not wide angle enough for the camera, and I recommend 6mm minimum for driveways.
My cars are in the garage. Your images is what I was hoping for. I'm trying to cover the yard and some of the front entrance and the garage which is a lot for two cameras. The two thick red arrows in the pic below are where my cameras are.

Got any recommendations on placement and type of IR I should mount?

House_Cameras.JPG

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My cars are in the garage. Your images is what I was hoping for. I'm trying to cover the yard and some of the front entrance and the garage which is a lot for two cameras. The two thick red arrows in the pic below are where my cameras are.

Got any recommendations on placement and type of IR I should mount?

View attachment 13567
For the OP, check out this cannon that @nayr reviewed the other day. Wide angle spread would probably work pretty well and could easily be installed .

Also considering the same turret illuminator, if you can mount it on either side of the window above the garage angled down and use two 6mm cameras at each arrow pointing towards the road. They'll cover both sides of any cars there to cover anyone who would consider coming into the driveway and try to break into your cars. I'd then use a 4mm/6mm for the front entrance and the yard.

Edit: My apologies, I forgot to add the link... https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/13943-IR-Cannon-w-Adjustable-Focus

Last edited by a moderator: