discrete graphics worth having?

dave7108

n3wb
Reaction score
just ordered an i7 4790k for BI. Is it worth putting in Discrete graphics card? Im running 4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I
The machine has 16gb ram and 64gb ssd and 4tb drive. Win 10 pro. Anything im missing or you would recommend?

lanep82

n3wb
Reaction score
WHat sort of MoBo do you have? I would assume that if the onboard graphics are decent, and you don't need your PC for gaming, etc, that I wouldn't spend the extra $ for a Video Card

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Onboard graphics should be fine. Running 4x 4MP cameras will be child's play for an i7-4790k, especially once you turn on direct to disk and hardware accelerated decoding. You would see no meaningful benefit.

In my admittedly limited experience (only tested on one system with an i7-3770k CPU and GTX 950 graphics), discrete graphics can take some load off the CPU when running the local viewer at high display resolutions. 2560x1440 and larger is where it was most noticeable.

So I see only 3 reasons to put discrete graphics in a Blue Iris system.

1) You are also using that system for serious PC gaming -- not usually a good idea because Blue Iris
2) You need more or newer video outputs (HDMI 2.0 for example).
3) Your blueiris.exe CPU usage increases an unacceptable amount when running the local viewer, and reducing the live preview frame rate limit is not an acceptable solution.

You can use Intel hardware acceleration and a discrete (non-Intel) GPU at the same time with most motherboards.

Reaction score
I am very curious about how much improvement per watt you would gain from a discrete GPU. I have several clients running R710's and a couple running TS140's no GPUs. The TS140's are reaching there limits and it would be nice if a good GPU reduced the loaded 30-40%. Also, would Quadro or GeForce series cards benefit this application more (is double precision important?)?