Discussion continues here.....

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
New thread to continue discussion from this post.
@Monique
Review-Dahua IPC-HFW7842HP-Z AI, ANPR Ultra 8MP Varifocal Starlight Cam

Iam not sure if this is a genuine Dahua cam. A real Dahua 8MP starlight camera is way better quality.
Shown video's are not representive for Dahua camera's and thats a shame.
(looney2ns mentioned that he is missing Smart IR in the firmware just as in a couple of other AI cams. It's listed in the spec's, but no where to be found in the firmware settings.)
For me thats that indicates its not a genuine Dahua camera but a Chinese clone
Can you post screenshot of the camera menu ?

Kind greetings
Monique (authorised Dahua reseller)

Video's posted in reviews are posted mostly by enthusiasts. They are raw video in real world conditions.They are not going to be super slick marketing videos.

Your post also insinuates that the camera is a fake, which as you would be aware, would implicate the supplier. Are you serious?

I doubt you would find any member of this forum who is more respected than Andy, so you had better back up your claims with a shitload of evidence buddy. :)

Please start by posting your real video of any of your "real" Dahua cameras for comparison. I'm ready to be blown away by the superior quality.....

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
@Monique I noticed that you posted actual Dahua videos and others videos from CBD/urban areas for comparison. You do realise that most of us do not live in the inner city? So, while they are great quality,they are not really representative of what a real world installation would look like from an enthusiasts perspective.

Surely as an authorised reseller of Dahua you have your own video's to show customers what they could expect from a typical suburban setup?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I Doubt that she will reply back, First thing First, you have to define what "genuine " really is. As far as I know I have never seen a counterfeit Dahua build from the ground up. Not to say that it cannot be done but the people doing it would have to have some pretty quick processing gear to engineer the the hardware that fast that quick considering its a fairly new build. A Chinese region version of the camera is still a Dahua Camera but with hacked firmware built for the Chinese region. We see a LOT of Dahua builds for OEM's or Resellers that are NOT considered "genuine " because of marketing and labeling and Dahua wants Nothing to do with them because they leave that on the backs of the Re-sellers for support. I Know here in the states if I buy my gear from a Dahua USA official re seller, I Do get support from them and Dahua USA if I can provide a S/N that matches where I purchased it from, If Not they will tell you it NOT supported by them and go back to whoever you bought it from. Dahua USA does not have the selection that we can get from Andy and if they have something close its usually way more $$$. The Authorized Dahua Re sellers are taking it on the rear because of the way Dahua turns a blind eye of whats going out the back door and I would not even be surprised if they encourage it because hey, they are selling stuff. For my commercial Installs I have to use a USA Re seller but for private party or myself, I do use Andy's Amazon shop and have never had a issue with any of the gear. IMOHO @Monique is just trying to protect her business by throwing this stuff out there to create doubt in the minds of the end user and until I see REAL proof of a counterfeit build, I will call Bullshi#.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I got money on @Monique has worked out they jumped to the wrong conclusion, and is too embarassed to reply. Which is fair enough.
If they have not worked out what is going on with Smart IR, let us bring her up to speed.......

It appears that Dahua has dropped the name "SmartIR" in some of the latest models and replaced it with "Auto" in the camera menu.

I believe "Auto" IR setting is intended to work in the same manner as SmartIR, but it does not appear to be working in the same manner we would expect.

Notable differences in the wording of camera specifications in regards to Smart IR:
Older models
SmartIR - Supported. (means SmartIR will appear in your camera menu)
Latest Models
SmartIR - Yes (adjust by user) - (SmartIR is replaced with "Auto" in the camera menu)

I have check with a few different cameras. I'm guessing that Smart IR should work the same provided user makes additional adjustments to other related setting such as HLC.
AFAIK Andy has already raised this issue with Dahua Engineers to see if they change this setting back to the "Smart IR" we are all used to using.

Feel free to make your big apology, when you see fit.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand you gave me this answer, because you already invested your hard earned money in maybe a clone cam. Iam sorry for that.
Incorrect. I don't own a IPC-HFW7842HP-Z AI. Is this intended for another person?
More interestingly you don't appear to own one either, but call it a fake, based purely on your demonstrated biased opinion on anything from Aliexpress.

I hope you all are now aware that clones excist. Thats my only concern. Use your common sense, compare and dont make a purchase only based on bargains and price..
Thanks for being so patronising. Likewise you shouldn't call a camera a fake when you obviously don't have this model yourself. It's also patronising to assume our purchases are based entierly on price? My purchases are based on customer service, after sales support and research.

The cameras I saw in your store-link, they all have no Dahua logo. And Dahua cams allso dont come in brown carton boxes. never!
Do you know this to be a fact or are you just assuming this based entirely on your experience? I am willing bet you made this up without checking to see if it is infact true.

Most of the time you could have better spend a few coins more. And believe me, I work with Dahua cams every day and the pictures that you all share a definite completely different.So be aware folks.
We have already asked for YOUR comparison videos, you gave us carefully planed promotional videos. Show us your residential videos!!

I hope that you can stil answer my fist question? Iam really interested as a professional in the menu structure of that camera.
This has already been explained. If you took a bit more notice, you would have already have worked this out. It shouldn't be up to an end user to inform you.(read the post above) I guess this speaks volumes about your actual knowledge and level of expertise of the so called professional.

A professional would have made the appropriate inquiries, before shooting their mouth off with outrageous claims. I guess by looking at your post history it was easy to guess your real motivation. :)

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Monique
Can you share some video/pics of your cameras, in low/bad light condition ? A video, in real world installation (not one of youtube commercial videos, often done, for both day-time and night-time, in excellent lighting conditions) well worth more than a tons of words.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry I feel a need to waste a bit of fodder.....

Monique if you are so sure that Andy's cameras are fake, how about supplying Looney as a respected member, a test example that he will return after testing, so he can set it up side by side with the 5231R-ZE received from Andy? If there was any difference that would show it rather than relying on Youtube videos with unknown enhancements. If Looney agrees, that could provide the definitive answer as both cameras could be side by side with identical settings in Blue Iris.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To try and put a lid on this, it is without doubt that the unbranded cameras referred to as being fake are all made on the same Dahua production line alongside the Dahua branded cameras. They are then sold on at a discounted price mainly for alternative branding by others. This is to achieve economies of scale and there is no reason to suspect that they fail end testing or do not meet the full Dahua specified performance.

I have both Dahua branded cameras and very similar unbranded cameras from Andy.

Likewise, english firmware will have been taken from the Dahua branded firmware but with any reference to Dahua removed by a Dahua engineer.

Am I right Andy?

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The fact that you can update to firmware with or without the Duhua logo or even direct from their site (if you fancy something really old) is enough for me.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
@Monique is stuck the other thread just like theirwebsite is stuck in 1995.
Monique from 365cam is happy to troll and hijack without backing up their absurd claims

A great warning for anyone considering using 365cam.nl They are completely unprofessional and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited: