Dismal Convert/Export performance

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a pretty decent setup, but trying to export a large quantity of clips, and it is taking forever! I have tried to export stock, and using the iGPU and NVIDIA options (GeForce GTX 1650 Super), but they offer no improvement. The (direct-to-disk) source is of course fixed - an 18TB Seagate EXOS SATA drive - and it is barely feeding the export - all recording is disabled too. I have tried to export to a locally attached 7,200RPM drive, a fast Samsung Pro SSD (SATA) , an NVMe drive (Samsung 980 Pro 2TB) connected both on a PCIe X4 add-in-card and via a USB-C 3.2 gen 2X2 bay. I even tried to export through a 10GB Network Adapter to an 8-bay 10GB connected Synology NAS with 8 fast drives (RAID-6). The absolute peak I get is with the 980 Pro connected by USB-C which yields around 9MB/s. CPU idles at sub 10% (Intel Core i5-12600). It all lives on a dedicated ASUS prime B660 Mainboard with 32GB of fairly fast Corsair 3000Mhz DDR4 RAM and Windows 10 (Latest version fully patched). Antivirus disabled. Aside from the USB-C option the export appears to happen in quick bursts from zero to dismal, and back down to zero again few seconds later. There is nothing else happening on the system aside from this export that i attempting. Does anyone have any export speed-up tips? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Uncheck the re-encode video and it will go a lot faster.
How will that affect quality? Will I still be able to import them into Magix Video Pro X? The files are to be brought into the editor for a presentation to Law Enforcement

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't affect quality. You only re-encode if you are having BI provide overlays, which those in law enforcement here say is a bad idea as that is considered altering the video.

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Holy smoke...from forever to mere seconds...but why is the file a quarter of the size? for example with re-encode its 12GB and without its 3.7GB?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re-encoding adds additional processing to it even if you are not using the overlays.

You should already be saving the video file direct-to-disc and that results in the lowest storage requirements needed, so therefore no additional recoding is necessary.

Can you tell a difference in the output between the two different exports?

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do direct-to-disc and no - to be honest I do not see any difference when I play them both side by side. They look pretty much identical. On the re-encode I have had files as big as 56GB - nightmare to work with...I wish i had posted this earlier in my journey...Gratitude for your advice!

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For those following along, practice/test exporting video BEFORE you need it. That way it will be quick to hand it over to police and not delayed by you learning how to do it.
Good idea indeed. In my case I am trying to motivate introduction of traffic-calming measures, on the race-track that is outside my house. We have had one death in the street already, and it is going to happen again before long.