Dismantle a camera for stealth installtion

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

Has anyone taken a camera apart and used the internals in a different case?

Im thinking of sacrificing a 2CD2032 so I can create a stealth case that only has the camera lens visible as opposed to the whole camera unit and IR LEDs

I am about to place a 2CD2032 inside a bird box and mount it to a tree, photos to follow, but would like to take it to the next level and make the case even smaller by re-arranging the internals of the camera.

Cheers

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All

Has anyone taken a camera apart and used the internals in a different case?

Im thinking of sacrificing a 2CD2032 so I can create a stealth case that only has the camera lens visible as opposed to the whole camera unit and IR LEDs

I am about to place a 2CD2032 inside a bird box and mount it to a tree, photos to follow, but would like to take it to the next level and make the case even smaller by re-arranging the internals of the camera.

Cheers
Don't see why it would be a problem just make sure you have some decicant packets in there too absorb moisture.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that's a brilliant find, thanks for sharing

this is much closer to what I am trying to achieve and offers lots of installation possibilites

chinese firmware - do you envisage any problems with that? can it be hacked/modified?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

this is much closer to what I am trying to achieve and offers lots of installation possibilites

chinese firmware - do you envisage any problems with that? can it be hacked/modified?
It just means it displays in Chinese, easy enough to work around, and it may have back doors that phone home to Chinese servers lol.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

There is a very long thread on these little cams
Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

Guys have uploaded new firmware, but seems like there could be problems.
It ships with a mini disc with english setup software to help get it going.

One concern is it has no password by default, and I haven't fixed that yet.
I'm pretty sure I can get it working, but will take more effort than a hikvision or dahua would.

BTW, I'm putting my cameras on a vlan, so they won't be on the internet, and cannot access the internet, which will handle the security concerns.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got a 4MP Dahua Bullet apart right now, it could very easially be put inside anything you wanted.. the inside of the bullet was almost all airspace.

IMAG0749.jpg

I took the lens out, you can see all the chipped off epoxy.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive got a 4MP Dahua Bullet apart right now, it could very easially be put inside anything you wanted.. the inside of the bullet was almost all airspace.

View attachment 14345

I took the lens out, you can see all the chipped off epoxy.
I guess they leave all that space for the heater in certain models? BTW, how would you know if your camera has a heater? My PTZ I think has the option but i'm not sure? 25x starlight.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this was the cheap Chinese 4MP Dahua, I think it was largely empty because it was a generic housing.. was quite surprised how little was inside it.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i've spent quite a bit of time tonight researching a modular approach using a raspberry Pi camera unit.....yeah, I think i'll be leaving that alone, my god, that seems a complicated route to take

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a very long thread on these little cams
Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

Guys have uploaded new firmware, but seems like there could be problems.
It ships with a mini disc with english setup software to help get it going.

One concern is it has no password by default, and I haven't fixed that yet.
I'm pretty sure I can get it working, but will take more effort than a hikvision or dahua would.

BTW, I'm putting my cameras on a vlan, so they won't be on the internet, and cannot access the internet, which will handle the security concerns.
This, it's not much bigger than a matchbox, is CHEAP, and not super hard to setup. In fact after spotting this thread I dug mine out and got it running in BlueIris just to make sure that it could be done - took me 15mins.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This, it's not much bigger than a matchbox, is CHEAP, and not super hard to setup. In fact after spotting this thread I dug mine out and got it running in BlueIris just to make sure that it could be done - took me 15mins.
I did the same today. I had spend a few minutes before just to make sure it worked with the software that came with it, and setting up the wifi interface.
I had to read through the other thread, and on the 2nd or 3rd page found how to set it up on blue iris, and it's working now.