Display Port to HDMI Over Distance

peotnes

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm planning a Blue Iris based system and will be running it on a used business computer like a Dell Optiplex 9020. I want to be able to monitor from three different locations all of which have HDMI inputs:
  • My living room television
  • my home office monitor
  • the master bedroom television
The computer will be located in one of those three locations, most likely the living room. Computers of this type generally have display ports. For the living room TV it's no issue as there are simple adapters that I have used in the past. The problem are the longer runs to my upstairs office and the master bedroom. Due to the length of the runs I'm looking at HDMI over Ethernet or Cat5/Cat6. I'm not sure how well a display port to HDMI converter would work in this type of setup which would look something like this:

BI computer --> Display Port to HDMI Converter --> HDMI to Ethernet or Cat5/6 Converter --> Switch (if Ethernet) --> Ethermet ore Cat5/6 to HDMI Converter --> HDMI input on monitor

Tripp does make a setup exactly for this situation, but it has mixed reviews and I'm not sure how much latency is involved and some reviews say it's susceptible to RF interference.: DisplayPort to HDMI over Cat5 Cat6 Active Extender Kit | Tripp Lite

Does anybody have experience with this type of setup?

peotnes

n3wb
Reaction score
An update to what turns out to be a stupid question, but wanted to share what I found in the event that someone found it useful.

Display port to HDMI adapters will work just fine with Cable Matters HDMI over CAT-5/6 systems per the manufacturer and likely most others as well.

It turns out that I won't need to do this for may application. I'm new to the software having looked at it last year then wound up delaying my project for about a year. The built in web page is more than adequate as all three locations I need to be able to monitor from are computer driven.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI computer --> Display Port to HDMI Converter --> HDMI to Ethernet or Cat5/6 Converter --> Switch (if Ethernet) --> Ethermet ore Cat5/6 to HDMI Converter --> HDMI input on monitor
A correction for your above signal flow - HDMI extenders use point-to-point CAT cable, and cannot be routed thru a network switch. Need a 'home run' CAT cable from each TX to Rx.
There are HDMI network Tx & Rx, but they are more encoders & decorders vs. extenders.

peotnes

n3wb
Reaction score
A correction for your above signal flow - HDMI extenders use point-to-point CAT cable, and cannot be routed thru a network switch. Need a 'home run' CAT cable from each TX to Rx.
There are HDMI network Tx & Rx, but they are more encoders & decorders vs. extenders.
Thanks for the clarification. I realized that but articulated it poorly and hope it won't cause confusion to others. I was attempting to show both methods and didn't want to provide detail that would digress from the main point if display port to HDMI adapters were compatie with HDMI over CAT5 (and above) or HDMI over Ethernet.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is not correct. I use gofanco extenders, one tx and 3 rx with a switch in the middle.